Wednesday, June 23, 2010

SOS

Warning: I have written this blog under the influence of 2 Molinaas Margaritas and a bit of sleep deprivation and just plain being tired...SOS...

it was that kind of day...in fact, I almost named this blog after a song that I sang (twice) while in the car---a song from the amazing musical "Spring Awakening" called..."Totally F$##%#%"...but I decided that naming my blog after a song title that contained the "f-bomb" was not appropriate...

So SOS it is...

Because it was that kind of day...

When I left my house to go to the gym, Isner and Mahut were still playing their epic battle at Wimbledon...I can't believe that the fight will go on...those poor men...

I did my workout and just as I got off, I looked up at the tv screens in the health club and saw Landon Donovan score that epic goal for the USA in the World Cup. That was a good thing. Almost, but not quite, the high point of my day...

So I workout and then head up to the middle school to help GOTT (God Of The Theater) and TTG (Tech Theater God) get ready for our show (Seussical) tonight with the drama camp kids. I love GOTT and TTG and those kids...

I needed a few more costumes (this is normal....me shopping at the last minute) so I headed to Goodwill. People, there is good stuff to be found there. I saw a Juicy Couture terry cloth dress there...it can be yours for $11.

SOS

Seussical On Stage

Short On Sanity

Save Our Show

Well, I didn't REALLY need to save the show but at 4:45 (curtain was at 7:00) we discovered we were one "cat in the hat" hat short so I ran to Party City (the one close to me) to buy one. No luck there. By then it was 5:00 and I had to go to the Party City at Highway 6 and Westheimer...in the 5:00 traffic...to get the hat.

When I got back to the theater I told GOTT that when the Gertrude character sings the song "ALL FOR YOU" he needed to think of me...because for him I drove in bad traffic to buy a $7 hat...he told me he would have let it go...but no...I did it all "for you" I told him...he loves me...

The kids were amazing and I enjoyed watching them...2 weeks is not a lot of time to stage a full-on musical but GOTT and TTG did it...they are AMAZING (more than Mayzie if you have seen the show...)and the kids...INCREDIBLE...that was the high point of my day...

So back to SOS...that hit the iPod at the 47 minute mark in my workout...just as I was dying...and dying to watch the end of the World Cup match...and it took me back...right back to Kingsville and the roller skating place.

Does anyone from Kingsville remember the old skating rink in the quonset hut building? They always played "SOS" by ABBA as I skated around...in my shiny pink sating short shorts...or my terry cloth ones with the matching terry cloth top...

SOS

Shorts On Skates

Kingsville was an interesting place to grow up...I've called it the "armpit of Texas" for quite some time now but really, I am happy I am from Kingsville and I think I was pretty lucky to grow up there.

I have a lot of old friends from Kingsville...and I am happy to still call them friends...even if we just talk on Facebook most of the time. And I got to experience things like climbing mesquite trees, smelling Celanese, eating the best ice cream ever at the Big Scoop, and dining at King's Inn. There is more to Kingsville than the King Ranch, the Saddle Shop, and wind. Texa A&I (I know they call it Texas A&M Kingsville now, but to me it will always be A&I) is there and I got to watch the A&I Fighting Javalinas win a national championship (not once but twice and no, they weren't in the "big" conference but it was a national championship just the same). I got to see my uncle turn the Big Scoop into the Pizza Parlor (best pizza in the world, people...). I bought music at Durhams. I drank the best milkshakes in the world at Harrel drugs. And yes, I ate the best seafood ever at King's Inn.

But it is the people of Kingsville that have my heart. My parents had some amazingly great friends that lived (and many still live) in Kingsville. I have an extra family with those people. And I have friends that I went to school with that I am blessed to still call "friend". Yesterday one girl who I grew up with (SP that is YOU!) wrote me the most amazing email note...she did me some real good since I wasn't able to "move that bar" (see the last 2 blogs). I went to a funeral a few months ago (Vaya con Dios RF) and as I hugged and kissed my parents dear friends I was reminded how lucky I was to hear their voices say my name and feel their arms around me...even when MY parents are gone. These are the people that drove me to school, that cooked burgers and hot dogs on Sundays on our grill, that saved me from the deep end when I couldn't swim. These are WONDERFUL people...they hear my SOS...and take care of me because I don't have parents anymore...

SOS

They save me...they love me...they take care of me even though I am an adult...

You never know who will hear your SOS...

Sometimes it is an old friend...

Sometimes YOU hear the SOS...because you do it "All for you" (GOTT and TTG)...

But it is always because of love...the love you gave me, nothing else can save me SOS...

I warned you that I wrote this under the influence of tequila...

SOS...send one out or receive one and save someone...

"SOS" by ABBA...or the movie cast...take your pick...this time I like ABBA better...

bye darlings

No comments:

Post a Comment