Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Clap Your Hands

Metal clanking on metal...music to my ears!

I step on the scale...and the scale tips...I'm lighter than the setting I have...

I GOT TO MOVE THE BAR

I GOT TO MOVE THE BAR

I GOT TO MOVE THE BAR

That was the sweetest sound when the scale tipped and let me know I had to move the big bar down a 50 pound increment.

I jumped off the scale and did a little dance...

Jumped back on just to be sure...and sure enough, I was a 1/2 pound UNDER! Woo hoo!

Thank you, Fitness Goddess!
Thank you, Spinderella!
Thank you, Precor (for making the elliptical machine)!
Thank you, Fit Foods (my breakfasts, most lunches or dinners and snacks)!
Thank you, Fage yogurt (for being my sweet snack)!

and most of all,

Thank you to my friends for all of your suggestions and support!

Now the reality of the situation is that my weight is still woefully high. I'm still obese. Not a word I like, "obese", but I am...

And what I weigh is a number that would send waves of shock and horror to most of you fine people...but for me it is the first time I have seen that number in over 3 years...maybe longer. It is NOT a good number but for me it is a BETTER number.

It was a small goal of mine to get here...under a certain break point...and now I have a new goal...to move that bar again. But that is 50 more pounds and that will not happen quickly. It will take a while. And as much as I would like to wake up tomorrow and move the bar again, I know it doesn't happen overnight.

BUT I GOT TO MOVE THE BAR!

I saw Fitness Goddess today...not for a workout, but she came to check on me when I was on the elliptical. I told her my theory about my eating (that I wasn't eating enough) and she confirmed that there was no way I was going to drop some poundage on that plan, so we went over everything and she has me straight now...and fussed at me for not telling her how few calories I was consuming. Last week I told her I was frustrated that I wasn't losing but I had neglected to mention the 1200 calories a day thing...and 150 of that was wine most days...

So I am keeping really good track of it all on my "Lose It" app on my iPhone and I promised her that I would stick to 1500-1800 calories (depending on my workout) every day. And spread my eating out. 3 small meals. 2-3 snacks.

I have a test of real willpower facing me...on Friday we are stopping for lunch in San Antonio and that can only mean one of two things---Earl Ables or Mi Tierra. Most likely Mi Ti's will win since my boy will be craving some Mexican food and my husband never met an enchilada he didn't like, but it is darn hard to order chicken fajitas with corn torillas when what I really want is a good South Texas style cheese enchilada or some mole enchiladas...mmmmmm....mole....mmmmmm

this may go on record as one of the few times I went to Mi Ti's sober...or stayed sober at Mi Ti's....no margaritas for me or I might pass out on the way home...on the other hand, George WILL be driving....hmmmm....but no, too many calories...gotta keep moving the bar...

I do recall one other time that I hit Mi Ti's for lunch and didn't have a margarita and was not hung over from a Fiesta party the night before. The kids' school/church has a festival every spring...one of the most popular booths is the cascarone booth (confetti eggs if you are not from Texas). I chaired the booth with another mom and we drove to San Antonio to pick up the 800 dozen eggs (cacarones) we had ordered from some chicken farm around there. We dubbed ourselves the "cascarone queens" (and wore tiaras). So we pointed her hubby's suburban west on I-10 and left early enough for a quick trip into San Antonio to shop at the mercado and eat at Mi Ti's before heading to the chicken farm.

We got there in plenty of time only to realize it was FIESTA week in San Antonio...for those of you "in the know", you know what that means...traffic...lots of people downtown. But we found a parking spot and hit the mercado where she snagged the most awesome "Tree of Life"...I have yet to find one that I: 1) like as much and 2) can afford. Here's hoping I have better luck on Friday...

We ate at Mi Ti's (enchiladas) and considered a margarita but thought the better of it and passed and then headed to the chicken farm.

Friends, have you ever been to a chicken farm?

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

What a horrible smell.

It reeked of chicken...poop...it smelled of chicken poop!

We thought we could escape the smell once we got inside the packing plant and paid for our purchases but....noooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Inside the packing plant was an aweful egg odor (smell a room temperature egg sometime and then multiply that smell by 1000). There was also that slightly sulphury-eggy smell wafting around. Eau de Egg...

I asked the woman we were dealing with how she handled it. She pointed to the candle on her desk. It wasn't working...

I suggested one of those lamps that burns oils to get rid of smells and she said she had tried everything known to man and that nothing worked (even the lamp) and that candles were cheaper. I literally was gagging the whole time (I am sensitve to smells) and was regretting the enchilada decision. It was bringing up bad memories of the time I got sick at Yellowstone Park when we were at the boiling sulpher mud pots...

I went into the bathroom...when I tell you that the bathroom was the BEST smelling room in the place, you can get an idea of how bad the Eau de Egg and chicken poop odors were!

So we had 800 dozen eggs to fit into and on top of the suburban, along with cartons for the eggs as they were packed in large flats. It took 2 men, a lot of rope and my friend and me to get it all loaded up but we did it. All the while smelling that horrible smell from the chicken coops. We gagged a lot. And regretted the enchiladas...a lot...

As we headed back to Houston we laughed about what would happen if we had a wreck on the way...there would be confetti and egg shells everywhere...

I got home and took a bath with every bath product I could find...I reeked of egg smell. Peeeeeeeeeeeeee-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

We stored the eggs at my house until it was time for the festival...my cats went nuts smelling the smell (I burned an oil lamp non-stop) and the loved playing on the boxes. For some insane reason we agreed to chair the booth again and did the whole adventure again except that time we decided to forego San Antonio in favor of stopping for bar-be-que in Luling on the way back...it was safer to have an empty stomach with the bad smell.

Since then the school/church has found a vendor for the eggs that brings them to us and I no longer have to man the cascarone booth as I gave it up after discovering that I couldn't drink beer and handle tickets and eggs at the same time. I was happy to relinquish the title of "Cascarone Queen" but didn't give up my tiara...in fact I wore it this year to the festival to promote the kid's spring musical ("Cinderella") but the head of the school still suspects (rightly so) that I just like an excuse to wear a sparkly crown.

Yes, I do love me some sparkles and rhinestones...and crystals...and sequins...and glitter...and I love to wear a crown...

There ends the tale of the Cascarone Queens...

So thank you all for your support...I love having you on this journey with me...and I love all the messages and emails and facebook comments and love all of you who have signed up to "follow" this blog. It means a lot...because this is my therapy and free blogging is way cheaper than paying someone listen to me ramble on...

Inspiration Music..."Clap Your Hands" by Sia!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite song of the moment...she is an amazing artist. Download the "radio edit"...heck, download the whole "We are Born" album as it is literally awesome start to finish. She is an incredible artist from Australia---best known for her song "Breathe Me" from a few years back---they use it a lot in commercials and tv shows and it was the finale song for the show "Six Feet Under" when Claire is driving away. Download "Breathe Me" too. And go to You Tube and watch the trippy little video for "Clap Your Hands"...fun fun fun...it is a song that will get you moving and singing and clapping your hands...and it is hard not to love it....

no blogs until I get back...can't really blog on the iPhone...

Please pray for our safety as we travel....

bye darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment