Tuesday, June 15, 2010

4 mintues

So I go to Spinderellas spin class today...I love her class and I am always happy when it is Tuesday and I can go and die on an indoor cycle bike. This time I made my sweet friend---let's call her "Sistah" because she is like a little sister to me---come with me.

Now Sistah is about a foot taller than me and she has legs for miles...I'm envious...because these legs aren't just long, they are beautiful, strong, tennis-playing legs. Sistah is a sporty girl...and beautiful...and she can play tennis.

I may belong to the Houston Racquet Club but you will never see me swing a racquet at a ball. Because I am bad at tennis. Hopeless. Awful...

A long time ago when I was in middle school, my mother hired a tennis coach for me and my sisters. I think she really just wanted to date the guy, but in any case we were forced into learning to play tennis. He worked with me a day or two. And then he told my mother she could have her money back because I was never going to be a tennis player. Ever. Hopeless...

How bad to you have to be for a coach to declare that there is no point?

"how awful is Anice at tennis" Part 2:
At camp they didn't even make me play. I got to chase the balls...

So I belong to the HRC as a place to hang out, drink, and work out. And have dinner (the food is...mehhhh...). But not to play tennis.

So Sistah and I spin...45 minutes...15 minutes of abs...and then 30 more minutes of Spinderella making us ride those bikes like we were Lance Armstrong climbing the Alps. Sistah did great and it was her first spin class. I can't wait until she tells me that she can't sit down tomorrow...I didn't mention that part to her...

Today Spinderella showed us Madonna videos as a way to keep our minds off of the fact that we were in brutal pain. Videos from the 90's.

Videos like:
"Bedtime Stories"----very strange...I get wigged out when her eyes become mouths
"Human Nature"---also odd...and all this bondage stuff...
"Ray of Light"---a little crazy
"Take a Bow"---the video that launched a craze for Chanel Vamp nail polish
"the Power of Goodbye"---Goran Visnijic...need I say more?

Conclusion: Madonna is more beautiful as a brunette. JMHO...

So Spinderella has us all on the bikes and she opens the class with "4 minutes"...

And that got me thinking...

what can I do in 4 minutes to save the world...like the song says?

or maybe what can I do in 4 minutes to save myself? But saving the world is more noble...

In light of the week I am having, with my friends losing their son in a tragic accident, I can't help but feel like there is something we can all do to save the world. Or ourselves...or a friend...

4 minutes...not much time...or a lot of time...

In four minutes, I can do a lot for myself...

I can do squats, or bicep curls, or a wall sit, or triceps...

I can brush my teeth (sonicare 2 minutes) and wash my face...

I can put on sunscreen (heaven help me...I love my tan...)

I can heat up some veggies...those little "steam in the bag" things are convenient!

I can use the fancy little bumpy scrubby thing that is supposed to make my cellulite go away....although I suspect that I can stay in the shower and use that thing until the next day and I will still have cellulite, but I bought into the hype...

I can open a bottle of wine and pour a glass (ok, maybe that is not as healthy, but it sure makes me happy)...

I can pet my cat (they say that petting an animal reduces your blood pressure)

I can eat a cup of yogurt (Fage...2%....honey) for the calcium

And I can do things for a friend:

I can send a note or email to thank someone for being my friend (that sounds hokey, but it really is sweet...and think of how much that would mean if someone did that for YOU)

I can pray for someone...we all know people who need our prayers...

OK, I'm not going to get in to all the things we can do for the greater good here because we all know those things...and besides, I had a good bit of red wine (a nice Gigondas) at dinner and I am tired...but you get the picture...

4 minutes is not a lot of time...but we can use it well...and so, I plan to spend that time a little more wisely...

My friend Sistah is a great person...she's a real sweetheart...she is younger than me but I learn from her every day...she has great faith in God, she loves the Lord...and she treats her friends like they are gifts...I am lucky to be one of those friends...she uses 4 minutes well...even on the spin bike...and especially when she is praying for me and being my friend...

use your 4 minutes well...

I'm off to brush my teeth and wash my face...

"4 minutes" by the awesome and amazing Madonna...or the Glee cast version...4 minutes to save the world...or yourself...

bye darlings

1 comment:

  1. You're delightful, Anice.... It's lovely to share your days lately. xxo

    ReplyDelete