Thursday, June 24, 2010

Freedom 90

A little note about today's blog...I don't intend to use this blog as a soapbox. I really write it as therapy and for fun. It is my writers outlet. And I know some of you are sharing/have shared my struggles with weight. Today is a bit different. It is about an opinion I have. Some of you may not agree with it. Others will. I don't really care which side you stand on---but I don't really want any negative feedback please.

My blog.

My opinion.


As I was having my love affair with my machine today (90 minutes thankyouverymuch), one of my favorite songs ever came on.

Freedom 90

by the incomparable George Michael...

Awesome song...awesome video (Supermodels of the 90's! Linda! Cindy! Naomi! Christy!)

I love the words...I love that George Michael was giving a big "screw you" to his record label...and I am sure his frustration for the industry and people in general that he could not openly come out as a gay man at that time. I'm so proud he did later.

Yes...this is about gay people...

If you don't like it, stop reading here...or maybe go ahead and read and open your mind a bit if you have closed it in regards to the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexsual/Transgender people of the world.

Again...my blog...my opinion...

So I am pumping away burning calories and thinking of George Michael (and some of his struggles---but he is an incredibly talented man) and how much I love that song. I had just read some things about June being "Pride Month" and I thought of some of my gay and lesbian friends.

And that got me thinking...do I (underline the word "I" here) LABEL them as my "gay friends"? Because I shouldn't...because they are my FRIENDS...

So why do we do it? And by "we" I mean the general public...

I don't refer to someone as my "black" friend (that would be racist and I am not...nope...not...)or as my "Muslim" friend. I may refer to someone as my "blonde friend" but then again I am blonde and we do have our moments...

So do I do that?

I hope not...because I don't want to label someone according to their sexuality any more than I want to label them according to race, or religion...

But people do DO that...label someone...and for some people it is ok to use those labels.

I'm not sure my gay or lesbian friends mind that label, but it shouldn't be what they ARE...it is just a part of them...just like some of them are redheads...

But I hate that anyone is labeled for who they love. The heart loves who the heart loves...and the love part is all that matters.

I want to live in a world where things are equal. Where no one has to be labeled. I want that world for my children. I want that world for my grandchildren.

I have a female friend who loves another woman. They are a happy couple. I love them. I am happy that they have found each other. They have someone to love. That is all that matters.

I don't want to label them as a lesbian couple...they are a COUPLE. Period.

The first boy I ever had a real crush on is gay. He was beautiful then. He is more beautiful now. I think I loved his beauty....because it came from inside. He has the most devestating smile. I have't seen him in person in a long time but every photo I see of him, dang...he gets better looking. I have not aged as beautifully. His boyfriend is a lucky man...

I want my gay and lesbian friends to have the same rights to marriage and equal rights as I enjoy as a heterosexual woman. It is only fair. I'd hate it if I got discriminated against for being...blonde...

If one of my children or grandchildren ever comes to me and tells me that they love someone of the same sex, I can promise you that the only thing I will care about is if that person is a good, loving person and treats my child or grandchild like the treasure they are. I will not be concerned at all if they are the same sex. I want them to love who they love.

So I guess what I am saying here is that labels belong in clothing to tell you how to wash things or who made the garment and (sigh) what size it is. But it is not for people.

I'm not gay so I cannot understand what it is like to be gay or lesbian and to be discriminated against for your sexuality (for those who have endured that). All I can say is that I wish no one to be discriminated against...least of all for who you love...

I wish for a world where everyone can express their love for who they love.

I don't care who you love...just love...just love...and don't judge others for who they love...be happy that they love...


"Freedom 90" by the amazing George Michael...

Getting down off of the soapbox...

and no, I didn't get to move that bar...so rather than whining about it I decided to talk about something more important...

Bye Darlings

No comments:

Post a Comment