Tuesday, December 21, 2010

All You Need is Now

All You Need is Now...a new song by...DURAN DURAN!

Yes, Simon LeBon and the boys are back...you can pick up this track for FREE on iTunes.

Oh how I loved Duran Duran...those were some very pretty boys making some very fun music.

Hungry Like the Wolf
Girls on Film
Rio
Save a Prayer
Notorious
A View to a Kill
The Reflex
Come Undone
Is There Something I Should Know?

Wow...those would ALL be perfect blog titles...maybe I'll try and use one every day for a week after the new year...they all sound like things I feel/do/need as I diet and workout.

Duran Duran was my favorite band in the early 80's. Some guy actually wrote a book about life in the 80's and he titled it...and I think this is an amazing title..."Talking to Girls About Duran Duran"...seems that it was his way to pick up girls (talking about Duran Duran). My best friend Christopher and I would sing "Hungry Like the Wolf" endlessly...and we would watch that video (and Rio and Girls on Film) endlessly on MTV. Back when MTV showed videos and not stupid New Jersey people making fools of themselves...

I danced to many a Duran Duran song...once or twice on top of a bar at a club or fraternity house countertop. Usually while rocking some crazy 80's get-up of a mini skirt, polka-dot top, heels, and my hair hot-rollered to it's curly best. The perm look was not for me so I just curled my hair. And lots and lots of blush...brushed up my cheeks like some bright pink Nike swoop...

And hair gel...but usually I dated boys who used as much or more hair gel than me.

Remember gelling your hair on the sides so it stuck out? And making your bangs (your heavy bangs) poof up? Gel worked better than mousse for that...

Or there where the nights where it was a "jeans" night...that meant jeans so skin tight that you had to spray them down with some water, lie on the bed, and have your roomate zip them up for you using pliers (we had a pair just for this purpose), or, if you were without pliers, you used a coat hanger---hooking the end of the zipper with the hook part of the hanger and pulling. Once on, you had to walk around like a mummy until the jeans began to "give" a bit...and then you could zip up the ankle part and put on your heels. My choice: black eelskin...

It was so much harder getting those jeans off when you got home and were drunk...

Sometimes I just slept in them.

Why do we women subject ourselves to such uncomfortable clothing?

Throughout history women have worn hideously uncomfortable things in the name of fashion...or what society dictated...

Corsets? How awful must they have been? Of course we still have corsets now but they are considered "naughty lingerie" but back in the day when they contained whale bones to make your waist look tiny, well, that wasn't lingerie...

Bustles? Thankyouverymuch but my rear end is big enough so I am very glad this style is no longer in fashion.

Pantyhose...so glad we don't wear them anymore...although I don't mind my Spanx tights on a cold day...

Spanx aren't bad...they just aren't as easy to wear as my Lucy Power Pants...

Can you imagine trying to navigate anything in a hoop skirt? Or a bathing suit that was a dress and bloomers? You would drown trying to swim in that...

So the skin-tight jeans of the 80's weren't that bad...and I have seen Ke$ha Barbie pour her skinny little self into many a pair of skinny jeans.

I do sorta wish shoulder pads would come back in...they made your waist look smaller. Can't you just picture the ladies of "Dynasty" and their monster shoulder pads? Ok, on second thought, and thinking of that....let's NOT let that happen...

Thong underwear....where do I begin? It is NOT comfortable...I don't care who you are or how thin you are, thongs are not comfortable. I think of them a little like very high heeled shoes---they are uncomfortable but they are a necessary evil if you want to look good under certain conditions...

Granny panties are more comfortable but do you want to be caught with them on? So we wear the "cute" ones to feel pretty...or a thong to feel sexy and sleek...and Spanx so we look like Angelina Jolie.

Losing weight has opened up a lot of clothing options for me.

Gone are the loose, flowy soft black pants---replaced with sleeker, more fitted pants, or yoga pants, or leggings, or real slacks. No more elastic waists and 3XL's for me! I haven't tried jeans yet but I will by the spring...that is a goal: to find a pair of jeans...even if I have to pay dearly for them.

No more tent tops or knit tops that are trapeze or A-line. Now I like to wear more fitted things or cute little tops over a tank.

When I wear a skirt now it is smaller, sleeker, and not the size of a round tablecloth.

And dresses...I never used to wear dresses but now I enjoy wearing a dress! I wish I was taller so I could wear the longer, maxi length like my friend Sistah does. I have a friend who is plus-sized and she rocks her dresses and looks great...this summer I often told her how pretty she looked in them...part of it is confidence, and part of it is...and this I totally lack...boobs...I just had a very big belly and no boobs so I always looked like an apple when I tried to wear things like a more fitted top or dress.

I'm still a bit of apple and a bit of pear but Dimples is working on making me look like a carrot (nothing to be done with my broad shoulders...but we can narrow the bottom with all that pulling him up the hill).

I like workout clothes better now than the 80's. If you read my first blog, I revisted the fabulous styles we rocked at aerobics classes in the 80's---shiny tights, thong leotards worn with belts, legwarmers, high ponytails, and earrings.

Now I wear fitted tanks or cami's over bike pants (for spin class) or my Lucy crops for training or running. No legwarmers. I started off last spring in large (very large) t-shirts and large pants but those pants literally fall off me these days and I wear the big t-shirts to bed...And I still wear a high ponytail and a stretchy headband to keep the hair (and some sweat) out of my eyes...but not as a way to prove how hard I am bouncing in class.

I'll never dress like I did in the 80's...please shoot me if I do...but I think I can do just fine dressing "now". And that is all I need...

Inspiration Song: "All You Need is Now" by Duran Duran...free right now on iTunes...guess we will see a new album soon...Simon and the Taylor boys still know how to rock it...

Bye Darlings...enjoy the now...

No comments:

Post a Comment