Monday, December 20, 2010

My Favorite Things

As I start to write this blog I am watching a re-run of Oprah doing her last "Oprah's Favorite Things" show...you know, where she gives away thousands of dollars worth of goodies to her audience? The audience members cry when the realize that they are at the "Favorite Things" show---I would cry too! This year she was giving away an iPad, sequined Ugg boots, cashmere leggings, a Coach Bag, $500 from Nordstrom and a VW Beetle car. No wonder they are so excited to go to that show!!!!

In the mail today I received a very very very special gift. A friend of my mother's, who knew me as a teen, sent me what is probably the most perfect gift I could have received this Christmas. I'll call her "K'town Gal" (she knows who she is, very special lady...) and somehow she managed to rescue a tile from the kitchen of my Kingsville house (on the ranch). The house was torn down. Another friend gifted me with a brick from the house---I treasure it. But K'town Gal got to the heart of the matter...and in this case, the heart of my house...the kitchen. My mother was an extraordinary cook and you've heard the stories of her entertaining, so getting a tile from that kitchen literally took my breath away. I opened the box and there it was...I lost my breath and the tears started to flow. I could feel my mother next to me. Ke$ha Barbie tried to steal it for herself. K'town Gal turned it into a trivet for me so it now will sit on my counter and I will think of my beautiful Mommy and my friend K'town Gal who so thoughtfully presented me with simply the most perfect thing...

So, inspired by this great gift I thought I would make my very own "Favorite Things" list as a gift to you, my friends and readers of this blog.

No "raindrops on roses" on this list...although "whiskers on kittens" would very likely make the list...

So here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite things that have gotten me through the year and this weight loss journey...

1) My friends and family. I could not have done this without my family's support as well as that of my friends like GOTT, GOTTESS, TTG, Sistah, TamTam, Bacchus, etc. And how can I forget that it all started with Precious and Adorable looking at me with fear that got me started (I thanked him and told him---he had no idea).

So, my friends---call upon your friends to help and support you with whatever your endeavors are. You will go so much further with arms to around you to support you...

2) Coach Dimples---he's the bomb and doing double duty as therapist as well as trainer. He did a fantastic job as football coach and he is doing a fantastic job as my trainer. My body looks better because of him...

And I have to throw in J'taime Jamie, Spinderella and JayVee and Fitness Goddess...because they have all helped get me to where I am now and they will help me get to where I want to go...

Since I can't give you all my Coach Dimples (or the girls listed above), I can say that having a trainer is a favorite thing...so find someone to help you that knows what they are doing!

3) My Fit Foods---I still eat at least one meal a day from them...usually 2.

4) Lucy---I love Lucy...and I'm not just talking about the show with Lucille Ball. What I am really talking about HERE is the store (and website) called Lucy. I love love love their workout clothes and I am currently LIVING in their power pants...so comfy! Oprah likes the lululemon pants---haven't tried them myself but my friend NJ loves hers so I am going to give them a try too. Right now I am wearing a pair of Lucy crops and Lucy tank that I wear to workout in. I love wearing the pants for training because they don't "show" anything like a pair of Nike shorts might when I am jumping about with a man telling me what to do. The tanks have nice long length to cover you whether you are training, running, or bending over a bike. I like the fact that many of the styles are "compressive" so they hold you in and they hold up really well in the wash. Check them out:

lucy.com

or

lululemon.com

In Houston both stores are located in Highland Village.

5) Red Wine---'nuff said...you can add white and champagne to that...

6) Asics running shoes---great for running and training.

7) Caslon t-shirts from Nordstrom. Not pricey. Cute cuts, great colors. I throw them on with my Lucy pants and go...

8) My Keurig. I am in love with a mechanical device and it is my Keurig. I'm the only person in the house who really drinks coffee and I usually only have one cup so making a pot of coffee is a waste. So that is why I bought a Keurig---it makes one cup at a time! And the flavor selection (online) is tremendous! I love love love all the flavor options and I can also make hot tea and the kids can make hot chocolate with it. If you are on the market for a new coffee maker, I highly recommend it...

9) My Riedel stemless wine glasses...love them...so chic...and love holding them, especially when they contain my favorite red wine...

10) Spanx tights...they feel so good and make you look good...

11) cottage cheese with pineapple and a little Splenda...great snack and good for you. That trainer chick on Bravo, Jackie Warner (my girl crush), claims that the casein in it will help with weight loss.

12) Crystal Lite in the individual packets. I don't like to drink plain water so I use these a lot. The strawberry energy flavor is my favorite (warning, it contains caffeine).

13) My metal water bottle that my friend Ticket Queen got me...use it every night...no more thrush! I got thrush last spring from drinking from a plastic water bottle that I was washing but not steralizing each time so she gifted me with this great metal one...I fill it with water at bedtime and drink up...

14) SmartWater...when I buy bottled water I usually buy SmartWater. I usually can't tell the difference in the taste of water, but I DO like the taste of this stuff. But more than the taste, I like the SHAPE of the bottle and the size of the 33.8 fl oz bottles. So I buy them...wash and STERALIZE them (with a bit of clorox) and re-use them for working out.

15) My music...as you can tell, I like a wide variety of music. Music is what moves me...so I love making playlists for working out and giving music to my spin teacher friends to use in class. If you want me to suggest a playlist, email me with your music preference taste and I will make you a suggestion list...

16) George's Pastaria. If you live in Houston, you need to go to George's. It is my favorite place. Located on Dairy Ashford between Westheimer and Briar Forest. Worth the drive. They will make you the BEST food for a great price and you can have some yummy wine. George and Rene (the owners) are almost always there. They are GOOD people and so is their staff. They will make you anything any way you want it. You want it grilled, not sauteed? no problem! You want it with extra spinach? not problem! You want a different sauce or pasta? No problem!!!! And you can eat healthy here and not feel like you are eating "health" food. Have the whole wheat angel hair primavera with shrimp and extra spinach...I'm going to make George name it after me!

17) Crave cupcakes. Why would I put that on this list? Because despite living on a diet, they are still one of my favorite things! You have to have a little sin with all your virtue and this is sin that is worth paying for. Strawberry and Candy Bar are my favorite flavors...but I'm sure if I ever tasted chocolate mint or dulce de leche that I would add them to the list. I'm just not going to tempt fate and try them...

18) Dark Chocolate. My favorite treat. The darker, the better...and I love love love dark dark dark chocolate. A little nibble now and then curbs my sugar cravings and is actually loaded with antioxidents so it is good for me too. I like Scharffen Berger extra dark (82% cocoa). mmmmmmmmmmmmm....

19) Living Proof Full Shampoo, Conditioner, Thickening Cream, Root lifting spray and mousse...my hair has never looked better...available at Sephora or QVC...

20) Cake Beauty Satin Sugar Hair and Body Refreshing Powder---smells like vanilla sugar cake and is the BEST for freshening up your hair when you don't have time to shampoo. It makes your hair smell so good and, even better, it comes in a light and dark version so that those of you with brown hair can use it and not look dusty! I've had men tell me that my hair smells good when I have used it...Sephora is your best bet...

21) Tom Ford Black Orchid perfume...the only thing I like as much as my Thierry Mugler "Angel"...very sexy scent. Different. Not for the faint of heart or timid...Everytime and I mean EVERY TIME I wear it I get compliments and am told "you smell SO good"...and I get it from men, women, and children...Wear it if you dare...

22)My 20 pound body bar---bought it at Academy. It is not an actual "body bar by Body Bar" (you can get that online...it is a little smaller in circumference than what I bought), but I like it just as much. For those unfamiliar, it is a 3 foot long weighted (and padded) bar that you use for doing excercises. You can do a lot of excercises with it...even if you don't have your own personal Dimples to tell you what to do. It will fit under your bed...

23) Women's Health Magazine and online website...lots of great advice and recipes. The website has workout suggestions so you can have Bob from Biggest Loser as your trainer! I like it better than Shape or Fitness (both great mags). Just my personal take on the fitness magazine thing...

24) M by Marc Bower dresses from QVC...if you have seen me in a dress there is a good chance it is from this collection from QVC. Washable. Wearable. Good looking. Great price.

25) Advil---I don't need to explain Advil, do I? But I love it...

26) Spin class---if you have never tried a spin class, do it...it is great cardio work, works the heck out of your legs and glutes and if the instructor is good, it is fun...

27) Body Pump---if your club/gym offers Les Mills classes, they offer Body Pump. Body Pump will work every major muscle group in an hour---choreographed to music. It is a great way to do your strength training if you hate working on the weight machines as much as I do.

28) Salmon---I don't like salmon all that much but since I have added it to my diet I have learned to like it and appreciate it. A few things I have learned---if you can order it medium rare it will taste less "fishy", I like a thicker small slice vs. a thinner larger slice (for the medium rare thing), a meal of salmon on a bed of spinach is pretty good and satisfying, the Omega3 oils in it are good for your skin, it is as good cold as hot. I can't say that I love it...but I love what it is doing for my body. I have dropped weight. I see a change. I eat a lot of it...

29) Tasti-D-lite...J'taime Jamie got me started on this and it is my new obsession. Love it for dessert and it is guilt free! Taste like you are totally sinning but is so low-cal that you can't hurt yourself. There are like 80 flavors...you can't go wrong.

30) My "liver cleanse" that I drink each morning. Juice of 1/2 lemon, 4 oz. unsweetened pure cranberry juice (not cocktail), 1 TBS. apple cidar vinegar, 1/2 oz. liquid B12, 1 oz. liquid glucosomine. Mix together and drink up. I swear it helps...

And that, my friends, is my "favorite things for looking/feeling good" list. These are all things that have helped me look or feel better during these past 9 months. I wish I could be Oprah and just give all of these things to you, but I can't...but pick through the list and see what appeals to you. I promise you if you use Living Proof full shampoo and spritz on some Tom Ford Black Orchid and put on an M by Marc Bower dress, someone will notice...

Inspiration Song: "My Favorite Things" by Rogers & Hammerstein...Sound of Music (you know that, don't you?)...as sung by the amazing, incomparable, one and only Julie Andrews...

Bye Darlings....I'm off for a bit of dark chocolate as my dessert after a nice dinner at George's Pastaria....

1 comment: