Friday, May 20, 2011

Second Chance

The school year is coming to a close...I tend to measure my years not in calendar years anymore but rather school years. I've been doing that since Ke$ha Barbie started school.

So now my year is coming to a close...and summer vacation is ahead of me...

so I look back on this past year and I see what I have gained and lost...some of it pounds, some of it baggage...some of it...well some of it was a husband.

The school year started with me having to go to the school and do the day of first aid and CPR training...that was where the head of school announced I had lost 63 pounds to the entire faculty and staff.

EMBARRASSING....

Guess what...I have doubled that number...more than doubled it...yippeeeeeee.....

The school year also started with football.

Now I like football but don't love it...well, maybe I love it when my son plays but otherwise...

notsomuch...

I do love lacrosse...don't ask me why...I still can't figure out that game but there is something about how crazy it is that totally appeals to me...

I think my new ambition should be to become a lax bro...

anyhoo....

so the school year started with football...

That would not be really significant except that football gave me the greatest gift of all...

DIMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, Dimples, the best trainer in the world and my personal therapist and adopted baby brother, is the bomb...and he was The Cutest Boy In the World's football coach.

A friend of mine who coached one of the other teams introduced me to Dimples. He (my friend) was afraid that we weren't going to get along all that well...

hahahahahahahahahaha....

we get along a little too well...he is not only my personal trainer and therapist but some day he needs to show up in a priest's collar because I confess ALL my sins to him...and some of them he figures out on his own.

We get along just fine...but my friend was afraid that I was going to kill a coach...be it him or his assistant...

all coaches were alive and well at the end of football season.

This same friend did the same thing with the lacrosse coaches...he introduced me and then warned one of them that I possessed witch powers. He warned the poor guy that if he didn't do my bidding I would "make the monkeys fly" (a reference to the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys). That coach never made me call out the flying monkeys but I did enjoy him fearing me for a bit...but now he loves me...

That's my talent...I get coaches to do my bidding or at least think I am awesome...

Not sure Dimples thinks I am awesome but he SOMETIMES does my bidding...and for some strange reason I do his bidding...

except for jumping jacks...still saying "no" to those...

But I digress...

So football season comes with the start of school and I discover that Dimples is not just the best football coach ever...he is a personal trainer.

So one day we have a conversation that goes like this:

Me: So, what do you do when you aren't coaching football to 7th grade boys?

Dimples: I am a personal trainer.

Me: So, do you train "real" people or just athletes?

Dimples: No, I train real people too...

Me: do you train housewives?

Dimples: yes

Me: Do you want a challenge?

he looked at me with a puzzled look...

Me: I am the challenge...you game?

Poor baby didn't stand a chance...he said yes and I think he regrets and loves it all at the same time...

School year rolled along...I lost weight, my son's football team went undefeated, Dimples started training me and I got fit and lost more weight.

After the holidays I decided to lose 260 more pounds...

in the form of a husband...

So I moved on from a husband but realized that I really had a second chance to live my life...

I have a second chance to find someone to spend my life with...

I have a second chance to keep my body in shape and stay fit and trim and more importantly, stay healthy...

I have a second chance at moving my life forward...

I wish I had a second chance to meet Oprah....but you know what, once might just be enough because it was a dream come true...

I spent the year moving toward my second chance...

So now I have my second chance...a second chance to live a new life...in a better body, with a better frame of mind, with all the good things about my life still intact.

I'm excited to see what next year brings me...because this year has been great!

I know some of you might wonder how I can say things have been great when I am getting divorced but I can assure you it is one of the best things I have ever done...along with Dimples...and I have the greatest kids ever that just keep amazing me day-by-day...

I"v been given a second chance to get it right this time...with my health...with my life...with my love...

And I am damn lucky...

And as for summer vacation...well, that is for laying in the sun and enjoying my kids...and keeping on the path of health and wellness I have maintained this year. I may take a vacation from being "super volunteer" but I won't take a vacation from the rest of it.

And next year...well, I'm not gonna worry about next year...I still have 3 months of fun in the sun to enjoy before that comes about....

So for now...I will be grateful for the second chance I have...and I thank God and all of you for it...

Inspiration Song: "Second Chance" by Peter Bjorn and John...very very very cool song...I have to listen to it every day...really...

Bye Darlings...go and find your second chance...at whatever...

No comments:

Post a Comment