Monday, November 29, 2010

Get Outta My Way

It's official: I hate running but I do it anyway...

I told Dimples today that I am far too compliant with him and I need to rebel a little more...and then I just did what he said...

So his cute self shows up for our training session today and he announces that we are having a day of "100's"...

It sounded like "coach" talk to me...not "woman"...

but then he smiled and explained that we, or rather I, was going to do 100 of everything: 100 pushups, 100 lunges (each leg), 100 squats, 100 step-ups (each leg...onto a bench), 100 rows, etc...

It felt like 1000...

and joy of joys we got to run in between each set of things...I say "we" because he did jog with me from place to place...

Does it clarify anything for you for me to say that I have been using ice packs for the last 1/2 hour? And that I drank not one but 2 glasses of some really delicious red wine?

My glute muscles are still pulled so mostly I SIT on ice packs...that is a whole new experience for my "nether regions" with that little bit of fun...but it does help and my pulled muscles do feel better...or maybe it is the Advil and the wine...

Remember, Advil and wine are a great combination (that is for you, Jeanette!)!!!!

He asked me if I had taken any ice baths (that was his suggestion)...

Do you know how quickly I said "Hell No!"?

yeah...it was pretty darn fast...but I told him my tub was broken (which it is)...the faucet at least...but there is no way, no how I am sitting in an ice bath...so I just use the ice packs.

I swear he told me that just to see if I would do it...

So this morning I got onto the treadmill and just before I hit the start button I texted him to inform him that since he had taken over my life I was now on the treadmill doing as he said and RUNNING...well, let's not exaggerate here, I basically JOG...

I think his answer was something akin to joyously informing me that it was good for me...I think he was sitting in his office at work laughing and trying to figure out what next form of torture he can inflict on me...after all, I am miraculously compliant with him.

So after a few back and forth texts about what I am to do I tell him I am putting on my music and hitting "go"...

I stayed on the #%#$#%## machine for an hour...he was impressed and probably a little shocked. Especially when I told him later that I was jogging at a pace of 4.3-5 mph at a slight incline...slow for most of you but basically booking it for me.

My friend Tam-Tam came up and laughed at me and was very supportive and then told me I should try running in the park. She has a lot of faith in me. She's the one who made me get back to spin class. I love her but I am not running in the park.

I guess I will shortly eat those words if Dimples tells me to do it...thank goodness Tam-Tam doesn't have his number to tell him...

Another friend messaged me to encourage me to try and do a 5K. This after another friend told me to come and do a relay with her.

I love and respect both of these women...and I will travel to their respective cities to see them and spend time with them but I will not run with them.

Because I hate running...jogging...whatever...even if Dimples is doing it with me and encouraging me to keep going...

But part of me is starting to actually consider the suggestion of the race...not so much to race but to conquer my fear and loathing of it all and to celebrate that I am changing myself.

I'm a pretty tough bitch and I could just knock people out of my way as a form of amusement as I go along...

But right now I just struggle with running 1/2 mile at a time on the treadmill so that 5K is a long long long way off.

The more I think about it, I really understand that the only REAL obstacle I have to it all is myself...and I need to get out of my own way about doing these kinds of things.

More often than not we stand in our OWN way more than we stand in the way of others or let others stand in our way.

After all I am the woman who basically LIED to GOTT and told him I knew what I was doing the first time I costumed a show...I think he knew it too but was desperate.

But had I said "I don't know what to do or how to do it", I would have robbed myself of the very great and very real pleasure I get from doing it now! I would have stood in my own way of finding something that I truly truly truly love to do. I love love love working with those 8th grade kids and I love love love them and I am so glad I didn't chicken out but rather stepped up and TRIED doing something that basically scared me a little and pushed me to do something new and fun. And I would have missed out on the incredible friendship I have with GOTT and TTG...because they are 2 people that I literally cannot live without...my sweet soul brothers...and they inspire me daily...

And from there I found that I loved working with kids and decided to substitute teach and from there I decided to teach Art a la Carte (art history).

I could have gotten in my own way but I didn't...

So now, I really feel like my greatest limit is MYSELF and that I have to get outta my own way with things.

Dimples tells me all the time that I "can do it"...and he pushes me to push myself a little further, harder, faster...more...

And my friends encourage me to do things...like try a 5K...

So maybe I am only limiting myself?

Nah...I hate running...

But I might just do it...

Stay tuned...

And don't limit yourelf either...I'll make a deal with you...you try something that scares you and so will I...except that no matter what I am not jumping out of a plane because that is where I draw the line...

But we should all do something that scares us a bit...because it makes us grow...

Get outta your own way...and I will get outta mine...

Inspiration Song: "Get Outta My Way" by Kylie Minogue. Mostly because I love love love Kylie but also because I hit "play" on it 3 times to get me through my last 1/2 mile on the treadmill today...

No comments:

Post a Comment