Thursday, November 11, 2010

Black Heart Inertia

The following is copied from wikipedia:

Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest. It is represented numerically by an object's mass. The principle of inertia is one of the fundamental principles of classical physics which are used to describe the motion of matter and how it is affected by applied forces.

Inertia...
the resistance (my will/my body)
of any physical object (me)
to change (what I am trying to do)
in its state (not to be fat and out of shape)
of motion (I am constantly moving! spinning! walking! training!)
or
rest (what the heck is that? rest? you mean the couple of hours I lay down?)

I never took physics...

Ke$ha Barbie is in HONORS physics. She loves it...

I never took a class in it, but I do "get" what some of the principles of physics are and I somewhat understand them.

This comes from physicsclassroom.com:

Inertia and Mass
Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Objects tend to "keep on doing what they're doing." In fact, it is the natural tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion. This tendency to resist changes in their state of motion is described as inertia.


Trust me...I get Newton's first law...because when I am at rest I want to stay at rest as long as possible!

As for the staying in motion with the same speed and in the same direction part...well, it doesn't take an unbalanced force to get me to slow down, stop, complain, whine, fuss, or just generally drag my rear when it comes to a workout.

Now I know you don't read this blog to get a physics lesson, but it does apply to working out...and what I have been doing with myself these last couple of days.

Because I have had some real "light bulb" moments...

And I am talking about high-wattage light bulb moments...

Light Bulb moment #1:
Coach Dimples.
He rocks...he really does...even if he is totally killing me and my quads. Because, my friends, they really really really hurt right now. Because he is killing me. But in a good way. He has me doing some of the craziest things, but boy can I feel it. And he is making me sweat---and swear---and want to just drop on my mat and beg for a nap. But he keeps me going and he really is the perfect person to take me to the next level in my fitness and its nice to have someone guide me on this journey that can make me work so hard that I hurt---and I don't want to kill him for it so he is doing it right. And because I am in this kind of pain I have come to realize that maybe I am not working as hard as I should be when I work out. Which leads me to...

Light Bulb Moment #2
Body Pump is good, but I need to work harder at it.
I have never made myself sore from Body Pump. Even with the new 5 minute squat track. So I don't think I am putting enough weight on or going deep enough with some of my squats, lunges, or lifts. Because Dimples got me in pain without putting any weight in my hands...just the squats and lunges. I complain endlessly to him about them...and I can tell you that when he made me lunge up the hill I was ready to tackle him (he is, after all, also a football coach so tackling would be appropriate). And then today I had another "light bulb" moment in Body Pump which is...

Light Bulb Moment #3
The Damn Heart Monitor is a blessing and a curse.
So I got the heart monitor because my trainer says I need it. I sprang for one that will "record" so Dimples and I can tell how hard I am working, how hard I worked, how many calories I burned, and what my average heart rate was during the workout. He gets me to burn almost 300 calories in about 40-45 minutes. When he aksed me how much I burn doing cardio I (rather smugly) told him that I burn 700-1000 calories in an hour according to the machine and what I have been able to tell by plugging information into a "calorie burn" algorithm (here I go with science again---Dimples gave me the word). I thought it was correct. I thought it was right.

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

The heart monitor is more accurate. And here is where it got really depressing for me today---I'm not buring 700 calories in a cardio session. I worked my arse off today in 48 minutes of spin and I did just over 300 calories. This is with my height, weight, and age plugged into the monitor. Remember, this thing calculates off of your heart rate which is directly related to how hard you are working.

UGH!

Double UGH!

Body Pump was barely 200.

Triple UGH!

The good news---it makes me work harder when I see my heart rate...

The bad news---I wasn't burning what I thought I was...

so bummed...

My only consolation is that now I know the truth. (At least that is what Dimples told me when I sent him a very fussy whining email about it all). And I told him that I know that he knew that I wasn't burning as much as I thought I was but he let the monitor tell me that and he didn't...guess he gets a kidney from me if he needs one for being one of the only men I ever met that didn't instantly want to tell me I was wrong when I was wrong and wasn't smug about it.

GOTT is usually pretty good about it (like 95% of the time).

Precious and Adorable History Teacher also qualifies but I'm usually the one telling him what to do instead of vice-versa so he is not often presented with the opportunity to inform me that I am screwed up...and I think he is too precious and adorable to do so. Bacchus never misses an opportunity to correct me...no kidney for him...but I do love and adore him...but no kidney...

So that is 3 men...they all get kidneys...except I only have 2.

I guess Dimples is better at talking "woman" than I thought he would be (because he talks "coach" so well). Because only a man that understands a stubborn woman like me would refrain from saying "nah nah nah nah nah...you are wrong...the machine is wrong...the algorithm is wrong...you are screwed!".

He let me figure it out on my own...with the help of the heart monitor...

Damn...he's good...

even if as I type out this blog my quads are screaming in pain because he likes to make me lunge/squat up a hill...

he is good...

and so is the heart monitor...

Go and get one...it makes a difference...just like a good trainer, it will make you work harder, push further, go the distance!

Inspiration Song: "Black Heart Inertia" by Incubus...love that song...great beat changes that make it fun to use for spin/elliptical/arc trainer. Put it (and your heart monitor) on and go!

One last thing...hug a veteran today! They did something most of us are unwilling to do...and we are all enjoying freedom because of it.

Bye Darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment