Thursday, November 4, 2010

Isn't She Lovely

Friday was the 17th anniversary of the best day of my life...

November 5, 1993
11:55 PM

The exact moment I had my greatest wish fulfilled...I became a mother...

Into the world came Ke$ha Barbie...wide blue eyes open...quiet and then screaming...totally alert...short and fat...like a little pink butterball turkey.

8 lbs 2 ounces...but only 19 inches long...

She was, and remains, the most beautiful creature I have ever seen.

Although these days she could fix herself up a little better...most days I see her in a ratty t-shirt, jeans or shorts, messy make-up, and hair that looks like it needs brushing (but is clean).

But when she fixes up...she is breathtaking...

Actually, I always think she is beautiful, even when she is a big mess...

So Friday she turned 17...and I can't believe 17 years have gone by.

She had to be forced from my body with a large amount of Pitocin to induce labor. She took all day to decide to come forth. My family got tired of waiting for her but managed to hang on until she made her appearance.

Once she was born she became, and remains (along with her brother), the center of my world.

I couldn't get enough of her when she was a baby. I loved dressing her up. I loved holding her, kissing her, cuddling her, and watching every move with marvel and wonder that she was MY child...MY baby.

She was a beautiful baby...big huge blue eyes that often caused strangers to stop me in the store, the mall, the parking lot to remark about her beauty and her big blue eyes.

She had no hair...

and it remained that way until around her 4th birthday when suddenly she seemed to stop growing (in size) and just grew hair...lots and lots of hair. Now she has enough hair to easily pass for "Cousin It"...It is so much hair that if you divide her hair into 2 sections and braid it, she still has more hair in one section than I do on my whole head. God blessed her with that head of hair...it is not only thick and holds a curl or style, but it also is naturally highlighted...beautiful light blonde streaks throughout that she is constantly accused of highlighting it yet no chemical has touched it.

Now her teeth...they were another matter. She had to wear braces...TWICE...she was born with an extra tooth...even an extra permanent tooth...she had the most snaggly tooth smile for years. Now, thanks to a very good orthodontist, she has a gorgeous smile!

She is a very unusual person. I have told you stories here before. She is equally right- and left-brained. Here standardized test scores in math are always at the top of her group. With little to no effort on her part she scores in the top percentiles consistantly. She is amazing at science as well. Her Honors Physics teacher (yes, I am bragging here...) says she writes papers like a Stanford grad student---and he should know because he taught there.

Now here is her weird little flip...she is also an amazing photographer and she can draw like nobodies business. She and I can take a photo of the same thing. Mine will look like a postcard or calendar shot. Hers will look like art...like something to hang on the wall. She has understood linear perspective since she was in primary school. She has had the ability to draw and shade (so it looks more realistic) since she was in elementary school. She has drawn things on napkins at restaurants and we come back to find that they have hung it on the wall...

She hates English---too many adjectives and flowery writing. History is a bore to her. She still makes good grades...she just doesn't enjoy the classes.

The Perfect Child?

Far from it...she argues with me like a $500 an hour lawyer. I have told her she has my blessing to go to law school if she can get in because then someone will pay her to argue like that!

She is a teenager...no teenager is perfect.

But she is bright and beautiful.

The gene pool was kind to her: my mother's body, my father's hair, my creativity, and her father's brain for math and science. All tied up in a pretty little package.

And she is mine...but there are days that I will gladly pay you to take her off my hands...

I thank God every day for giving her to me...because she made me who I am...a Mommy...

Inspiration Song: well, I could have gone all cliche and used "At 17" by Janice Ian but that song is sooooo depressing and sad. And there were some other songs about 17 but they were sexist and frankly nasty. But when I think of my daughter, I am always reminded of Stevie Wonder's beautiful song he wrote for his daughter---"Isn't She Lovely?". One of the best and sweetest songs ever written. Here are the words to inspire you to wonder and marvel at the lovliness of your own children if you have them...

Isn't she lovely
Isn't she wonderfull
Isn't she precious
Less than one minute old
I never thought through love we'd be
Making one as lovely as she
But isn't she lovely made from love

Isn't she pretty
Truly the angel's best
Boy, I'm so happy
We have been heaven blessed
I can't believe what God has done
through us he's given life to one
But isn't she lovely made from love

Isn't she lovely
Life and love are the same
Life is Aisha
The meaning of her name
Londie, it could have not been done
Without you who conceived the one
That's so very lovely made from love

No comments:

Post a Comment