Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

I need to take a day off...I know I do.

But I don't want to...

And I may be forced to.

Because today, as I dismounted the spin bike (after giving myself a particularly hard and nasty ride since there were no classes)and did my stretches (which I never do on my own), I decided to stretch my left leg a l-i-t-t-l-e higher...

And I felt something akin to a rip...

maybe not quite a rip, but a defnite pull...in my left glute...

UGH!

But it hurts like the dickens and I guess I am going to need to give it a rest...but I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'll confess it to Coach Dimples (my trainer) and see what he says...maybe he won't make me do lunges or squats...a girl can hope, can't she? But I'm going to bet he will either say I have to do them or we need to lay off.

Time will tell...

He told me I need a day off anyway. He wants me to wear the heart monitor for a day to see what my calorie burn is on a day I don't work out.

I'm claustrophobic and can't wait to get that thing off from around my chest when I wear it just for excercise so I'm not sure I can handle it.

But if he tells me to do it, I will...

I don't understand why I am so compliant with that man... he tells me to do lunges, squats, wear a heart monitor and I do it...but I will still draw the line at running/jogging and jumping jacks...and catching a ball.

And he wants a food log...at least I keep one of those anyway.

And yes, I have confessed the wine...all of it...

Because he told me to.

I don't really want to take a day off (because I actually enjoy my workouts) but I don't mind doing what he says because he has jump started my weight loss again and is kicking me up to the next level (like I asked him to) so what's a girl to do?

Mind the trainer?

Mind my body?

I guess I just need to CHANGE my mind and let someone else guide me for a bit instead of always being in control.

I'm not good at handing over the reigns...unless it is a horse and you know that me + horses = not a good thing so I hand over HORSE reigns.

But handing over my will/desires/wants to let someone tell me what to do?

notsomuch

But I know it is for my own good. And I know not taking a day off in almost 3 weeks has to be wearing my body down...and maybe that is why I pulled a muscle.

But I know myself too well and I know tomorrow morning I will get up and put on my workout gear and head to the gym. I guess Dimples is going to have to just tell me to take a particular day off so I will do it...

Giving over control is an issue in our house...none of us are very good at it.

Right now my son is in an orthopedic boot due to an ankle injury he got at a practice meet for the world's stupidest sport---wrestling. You will get to read a wrestling blog very soon...

Coach Dimples loved pointing out that The Cutest Boy in the World (TCBITW...my son) wasn't hurt on his watch. He has a point...

So TCBITW twisted an ankle and wasn't able to walk for a few days...and then he decided he could walk well enough to go on his class trip to Mo Ranch. Thankfully he was under the watchful eye of my friend Coach Cuteness (I call him that 'cause he's cute and a real sweetheart...and has dimples but that name is already taken), Bacchus, and the rest of the 7th grade team. He climbed Enchanted Rock, he went into caves, and he took a "hard hike" (Bacchus' term---he was leading my son on the hike but I think it was a hard hike because he got them lost and they were scrambling).

We took TCBITW to the orthopedic doc on Friday and he put him in a boot.

A boot he won't wear...

wonder where he gets that from?

Bonus to the trip to the doc: he's the same doc who cut on me twice for my meniscus so he was really happy to see I had dropped some weight...

So what do I do?

Take a day off tomorrow to let my glute muscle rest or stretch it in a workout?

I know it doesn't hurt to take time off...and I know one day without the gym won't make me gain weight...and I know that my body needs time to rest and recover...

but the scale bar is sliding down and I'm getting close to a goal (ooooo...shopping! my reward for this goal is a handbag and a holiday outfit...although a new phone might win...)

I get really OCD with this stuff...the last time I dropped a lot of weight I got so obsessed with spinning that I signed up for this crazy challenge that basically followed what the terrain of the Tour de France. In other words, if Day 4 was a "mountain" day, then day 4 of the challenge was all steep climbs...and if day 12 was a flat-road day, then day 12 of the challenge was all flat (no big tension on the bike to simulate a climb) and fast.

The first day of the challenge was a 3 hour...yes 3 HOUR...spin class on a Sunday. It was the same day as the first game the Texans had in Reliant Stadium. I did the class and then cleaned up and then literally went to the game, sat down in my seat and promptly fell asleep. I think I snored...

I was in a roaring stadium but was so wiped out that I fell asleep...and snored...

I've done 2 hours on the elliptical before...and I will do back-to-back classes at the club...like I said, I become obsessed and it starts to get me antsy if I don't follow the rules and path I have set for myself.

I just wish I had done this 5 years ago...

And I worry that I will crash and burn like I did the last time...except that this time I am not on diet pills and I don't have any more parents to lose/mourn so I think this time I have straighted myself out for good.

But I don't really know what to do about tomorrow

Guess I will have to ask my trainer...and I will comply...

maybe...

I guess it is a battle of the wills...and it is not that he is MAKING me, it is whether I can give myself over to him enough to let him help and guide me.

I trust him.

But do I trust myself?

Stay tuned...

Inspiration Song: "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant...my son totally approves...

No comments:

Post a Comment