Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I had some fun this past week as far as working out has gone. It has actually been an interesting experiment in just what I can handle...

Last Saturday two of my favorite spin instructors gave an "all 80's" spin class on Saturday at the gym. All 80's music. And they showed the movie "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" on the video screen.

That hour passed so quickly...

Poor Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt...they were the stars of the movie...SJP must be happy to have the stylist working for her now as her clothes in "Sex and the City" were way better.

Of course, maybe it was the 80's clothing...

Did any of that stuff ever really look good?

No way...like totally fer sure it was groddy to the max and like barf me out...

Bows on our butts? really?

Permed hair that was as high as Everest? really?

Dropped waist dresses? really?

Lets. Not. Go. There.

Not now anyway...

But the class was like totally awesome and I was like totally ohmygod...

We so have to do it again...I even wore my t-shirt ripped up like "Flashdance".

And a side ponytail...which drove me nuts the whole time...

spinning + side ponytail = annoying

So that was fun and then I took The Cutest Boy in the World (TCBITW) to Rockport so we could go out on the boat and not catch fish. At least I caught some rays and worked on my tan. No fish but it was still fun...and I sacrificed a few calories in favor of some ice cold Miller Lite while swimming in Little Bay. Because I wanted to have fun...

What was NOT fun was waiting in the rain while husband loaded the boat onto the trailer. I was dressed. Then I had to go and change. Not fun...

When we got home I took TCBITW to the gym with me. I had my hour love affair with my new favorite machine (ARC trainer by Cybex...yes, the one I have complained about...but I can burn 1/3 MORE calories on it than the elliptical so it now has my love and affection). TCBITW did the elliptical and ran on the treadmill and got all the cute young girl trainers to say "awwww...he is so cute!" (because he is).

Next day was Spinderella's class...she decided to bring along a Pussycat Dolls video for us to enjoy.

Now here is where I go back to the 80's clothing friends...because a big satin bow was perched on the backside of the lovely winner of last season's "Dancing With the Stars" (she is, after all, a Pussycat Doll)...perched right up there on her perfect butt. But I can tell you that not once did I ever see a big satin bow perched on the backside of myself or any of my friends during the 80's that looked that good. Bows on the butt are never attractive but I guess when you are built like the live version of Barbie it works...

Wednesday I was forced to do what I consider to be pure torture. I had to get up at 4:45 and hit the gym by 5:15 so I could be showered, dressed, and blow-dried and at school by 7:30. Then I had to repeat it the next 2 days.

So 3 days in a row I was at the gym by 5:15.

It's not a habit I want to make. It wasn't awful, but it didn't kill me. But it wasn't fun...the 4:45 was not fun, the 5:15 on a machine was not fun, the in the shower by 6:30 was not fun and rushing through my morning was not fun.

And I even managed to make it to Body Pump on Wednesday.

Now about that Body Pump. If they offer it at your gym, DO IT. I HATE HATE HATE to do weights in the gym. I am not disciplined enough. I can only do it if I have fitness goddess yelling at me or if I am working out with a friend. But Body Pump puts you through your paces in all the muscle groups (and even dreaded squats and lunges) in an hour (with music) with an instructor. It love it. It is now part of my routine....even if it means I have to go back up to the gym. And TCBITW took the class with me and enjoyed it so I think he will want to make it part of his routine.

So that was fun...

What was fun was putting on a couple of my new dresses and feeling pretty for the first time in a long time. Dresses that did not have bows on the butt. Grown-up dresses. With heels. I even pulled out the hot rollers and did the starlet thing with the blond locks.

Getting compliments. THAT was fun.

Training for the art history classes we give the kids at school...fun
Hearing a lecture from a Rice University Art History professor...fun
watching the 8th grade kids learn their music for the musical...fun
arguing with my friend Bacchus about geography during his parent night presentation...fun (any time I watch him do his thing it is fun...he is an awesome teacher)
hearing what my son's teachers have in store for him this year at parent night...fun (because they are an amazing group of teachers and TCBITW is blessed)
My son's team winning their football game 33-6...fun
drinking wine with my friends after the game...fun
sweating at the game while taking 1398 photos (yes, you read that right)...not so fun...but watching the game was fun and my photos are fun...

getting up this morning and hitting the gym at 8:00 for Body Pump after consuming about at least 1/2 bottle of chardonnay...notsofun...

and I could only manage about 35 minutes of the spin class that followed...

So, like our precious Lord, I think I will pronounce it all "good" and take tomorrow as my day of rest.

And maybe on Monday I will get to the gym at 5:00 again...but maybe I'll wait and go later...but I will go...and I will go back that night for Body Pump...

The pounds are starting to slide off again and my body is reshaping itself. I am down 5 dress sizes (yes, that is a lot...I was very big) and I am trying to get used to it. I am almost halfway to my goal weight.

It has been a hard 6 1/2 months...and it hasn't always been fun.

But it has been worth it...

Because putting on a dress and having someone tell you that you look pretty IS fun.

But putting on a dress and having your daughter say "Mom, you look gorgeous and your hair is awesome" is PRICELESS...and fun...

Inspiration music: "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cindy Lauper...because it is FUN...

bye darlings...

No comments:

Post a Comment