Monday, July 12, 2010

A Change Would Do You Good

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR...my iPhone won't sync...some "unknown error"...

I love my iPhone but I'm not too happy with AT&T...bad coverage and dropped calls is all I get. And now this issue with the phone...but I still love my phone...I'd like to change carriers, but not my phone...but I can't so...

So my trainer tells me that I need to vary my routine a little...change it up a bit just so my muscles don't get too used to doing the same thing (my beloved Precor Elliptical Machine) and I don't get too bored.

I tried this Cybex machine today...it felt weird and awkward. It's a stepper thing, but your legs don't make that elliptical motion...more up and down. It did tell me I was burning more calories than I was on the Precor, but it just was an awkward motion.

I felt like I was cheating on my machine...even though I had a good hour's ride on it just before trying out the new thing. I'll give it another whirl and see if I can get the hang of it. The elliptical felt weird and awkward when I first tried it so maybe it is a coordination thing that I need to get a hang of.

I gave myself a spin class yesterday so I could change things up. I was harder on myself than Spinderella is. On Sundays at my health club they don't have classes in the rooms so I grabbed a spin bike---a new one!---and pulled it into the room. I strapped my iPhone onto the handle bars (so I wouldn't knock it off) and hit a play list and took a ride. It was great...but I think I worked myself harder because I was just having random songs play...next time I will pre-set a playlist and choose music with the right beats and rhythm.

I changed my eating a bit and that helped so I guess a change can really do you some good when you make the right change...we'll see about the exercise bit...

In the last 5 months I have made the following changes:

I go to the gym every day (or almost every day)
I eat healthy now and think about what I am putting in my mouth
I log my food and exercise on "Lose it" on my phone so I think about it
I have changed "dress" (pant/shirt) sizes twice...and am working on another...
I got to move into another "weight zone" on the scale
I don't eat out as much
I can't eat popcorn at the movies anymore (divirticulitis)
I bought some heels...haven't worn heels in like 5 years...but I wear these!
I wear skirts again
I park my car farther away from the door when I go somewhere
I wear my fitness shoes whenever I can
I take the stairs (and I am not winded when I do)
I cook healthier, but I still use butter...just less of it...
I am drinking more red wine...hey, at least it is supposed to be "better" for you...but I am not drinking more than before...I've just switched from ordering high calorie mixed drinks to wine, mostly red...

So I've made changes, and changes have happened to me.

Not all the changes in my life have been for the better.

Losing my parents...not a change I wanted or a choice I made...but I had to change the way I celebrate holidays and birthdays and my kids don't have grandparents.

I did not like the changes my father made to our family when he left my mother. The divorce turned our lives upside down and changed my mother forever. We ended up leaving Kingsville, the only place I had ever lived. My father married my step-mother and moved to Kerrville. My mother chose Houston. I moved to Houston as a very unhappy 14-year-old girl with braces and clothes and purses that the Houston girls (save my beloved V) made fun of me for. I was once called "country bumpkin" because of my precious leather-bound binder. I made my mother take me to the store for a new one that afternoon...

Soon I changed my clothes to look more like the Houston girls...Izod shirts, anyone?

My mother married my orthodontist...for 3 weeks...not a good or happy change...but at least it was brief. But it led me to be unhappy and I needed a change...so I moved to Kerrville and moved in with my father and...her...

I could write blogs and blogs about my relationship with...her...but I won't...it's not worth my time...and all I can say is that Cinderella had it good...

Do you see now why I have issues? Tip of the iceberg, friends...tip of the iceberg...

I did love Kerrville and Tivy High and my friends...so even though it wasn't easy living with my father...and her...I had my sisters and my little brother and I got through it and left...

And even though my dad left us for...her...she was a change that did do him some good because he loved her. I don't know why, but he did...and she made him happy in some way so even though I didn't understand why he loved her, he did...

Enough about...her...and that change in my life...

I have my own family now and that was a good change for me...my children are the center of my world...even when Ke$ha Barbie only seems to want to argue with everything I say to her. She says she wants to be an engineer but I sometimes wonder if she wouldn't be a marvelous litigator with the way she argues with me and her logic...she could just confound a jury into seeing things her way...and dazzle them with her piles of blonde hair...

So a change would do you good...see what changes you can make to do YOU some good...

In the meantime I'm going to finish taking my medicine so I can have some red wine...because I have a new bottle of Gigondas that I want to try...a change from my usual...and I know that a little bit of red wine will do me some good...just a little...because a LOT of red wine will do me some damage...

Inspiration Music: "A Change Would Do You Good" by Sheryl Crow...because she is cool...

Bye Darlings...

No comments:

Post a Comment