Sunday, July 4, 2010

American Woman

What? You were expecting something really patriotic like "America the Beautiful"?

I love my country and I am a proud American...and I am proud that I am an American Woman...but this blog is about me, so I am focusing on the woman part...and the fact that I am lucky enough to live in the greatest country on our planet.

I have freedoms that women in other countries do not have...and I am not punished for my choices in dress, or who I love, or what I say or do...because I am an American Woman!

When I thought about what I was going to write about today I kept getting writer's block and decided that I do my best work when I just let it flow. But I do want to talk about July 4 and why I love this holiday.

I mean, come on...is there anything better than fireworks? I like the big ones that burst into a show of color and then rain down like diamonds in the sky...and I can't help but say "ooooh" and "aaaahhhh".

Usually we spend the 4th in Rockport. But Ke$ha Barbie had to work and I didn't want to leave her here on a holiday...even if she was with another family. So we stayed put this year. But Rockport is an awesome place to celebrate the 4th...just before dark everyone gets into their boats and motors over into Little Bay just off Key Allegro and anchors up...there are literally hundreds of boats. And once it is good and dark they shoot off fireworks...a very awesome show...it lasts a while and the fireworks are really great. It's a great way to watch fireworks...sitting on a boat, surrounded by other happy people, beverage of choice in hand...and we always watch and check out George Strait's house to see if he is there...

As I kid I can remember my dad and his friend Gus shooting off fireworks in Gus' back yard...one year my aunt had one explode in her hand (a firecracker). And we would do light shows with our sparklers---which I was mildly afraid of.

When my mom moved us to Houston when I was in high school we could watch the fireworks that the Houston Country Club shot off from our balcony. That was cool...and free!

When Ke$ha Barbie was about 2 or 3 we went to my friend Glamazon's country property. They had a private lake on the property so we spent the day riding the Sea-Doo's and that night the men shot off fireworks. Now it was far from a professional show but the little girls absolutely loved it, the men had fun, and most of the fireworks managed to work...so it was awesome...

I'm just happy to be an American...we live in a free country and we all need to thank the brave men and women who fight for and protect our freedom. I always have this compulsive impulse to run up and hug any service man or woman I see...but I control myself and just smile...and sometimes say "thank you".

Last summer we went to Hawaii. I mentioned our vacation to a friend who told me her son was stationed in the Navy at Pearl Harbor. I'm going to tell you his name (just first name) so you can add him to your prayer list if you are so inclined...because I pray for him all the time. His name is Julian. And he is the sweetest, cutest submariner in our Navy.

Julian didn't know us, but when his mama emailed that a friend was coming to Hawaii from Houston (and mind you, his mama and I were "new" friends and didn't know each other all that well, but we were friendly), well, that sweet boy took it upon himself to be a new friend and offered to give us a tour of Pearl Harbor.

I'll start by saying it was VERY VERY COOL!

So Julian borrows a car from a friend (because his was too small for my family) and comes to our hotel and picks us up. I had no idea what he looked like but when this gorgeous man with big blue eyes stepped out and spotted me and said "Anice" I thought I hit the jackpot! Too bad Ke$ha Barbie was too young for him (now...) because this young man is something to be proud of...really proud of...

He loaded us in the car and takes us to Pearl Harbor...not the Arizona Memorial, but the real honest-to-God Naval base that is Pearl Harbor. We were all beyond excited. And he was the best tour guide ever.

We drove around the base as he pointed out various buildings and sights to us and then we parked at SUBMARINE ROW and got out of the car...and then...we got to go on a nuclear submarine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was amazing....and VERY VERY COOL...

Now those of you who know me know that I hate heights and ladders so when I was confronted with having to climb down a metal "ladder" from a hole in the top of the sub, I did give some consideration to staying up top and hanging with the guards. But I couldn't let my fear keep me from getting this amazing opportunity I was presented with so I drew up all my courage and lowered my very hefty self down that ladder. To bad it wasn't this summer when I am thinner and in better shape...I would have been less afraid. I felt like a whale climbing down...

Julian is assigned to another submarine and a different type of sub than we were touring...he gets to "drive" his and he is the assistant to the first officer so he is a reliable and responsible sort of guy...along with being beautiful enough to model for posters for the Navy (which he doesn't do...but they should have him do it). We were on one of the newest (if not the newest) nuclear submarines we have...and to top it off---it was the USS Hawaii. So cool....

Every second I was on that submarine my heart was filled with love and respect for the men and women who are on these subs. They stay underwater for weeks (and weeks) at a time. The don't even get their own bunk...when they get out to do their shift, someone else climbs in.

This sub was big as subs go but it was small when you think about living in it. I was practically claustrophobic the whole time...except that I knew we could get out. One of the men assigned to the ship was our tour guide...this guy was at least 6'3" tall (or more) and a big guy...I felt for him!

We got to see everything...even the engine room. And we were offered some pretty amazing chocolate chip cookies from the cook. And we even saw the place where they load and keep the torpedoes and warheads. The guy giving us the tour said that he has even had to sleep in there before----and he woke up with his arm slung over a warhead that was next to him....yikes! I think one of the things that I enjoyed the most was that they use these plastic things to stabilize the torpedoes and warheads and they attach the plastic things to each other with old car seat belts...that amused me for some reason...they have very strong things to hold in the torpedoes (this was just the plastic stabilizing things) but it was funny to me that they used the seat belts.

Once our tour was over we went back up top and got to take some photos with the guys and I learned that the bit that sticks up on top is called the "sail". It was an unforgettable experience and I cannot believe that those precious men and women can stay in that thing for so long...so I pray for them all the time...

We got back into Julian's car and he toured us around some more and we just sat there pinching ourselves at how lucky we were to have this incredible young man be so willing to take out a family of pretty much strangers. So, please pray for Julian and his companions...because what they do is amazing and incredible and they do it for us...and our freedom...

The man is beautiful...inside and out...and a real credit to his mama...and that is saying something my friends!!!!!!!!!! She is pretty awesome and beautiful too...

So enjoy your holiday...and eat a hot dog for me...I passed on one since I am happy to say that I am now securely in a new weight range on the scale and I want to stay that way. So I worked out this morning for an hour and a half, spent some time giving myself some wrinkles by laying out by the pool, and then cleaned up and had a great time at the party that GOTT and his wife had. I love them....love them...

And pray for Julian and all the men that serve our country so bravely...because they make it possible for me to be an American Woman...

Inspiration song: "American Woman" by the Guess Who...but ignore the lyrics...I just couldn't come up with anything better to describe myself today...

No comments:

Post a Comment