Sunday, August 10, 2014

I Kissed a Girl

Hello Darlings...

You knew this was coming, right?  I mean if I'm going to blog Katy Perry songs this one had to make the list because you all know I love me my LGBT people...

but here's where you wonder if I have some sort of confession to make...

Well I am sorry to burst your bubble but this is not where I tell you I have actually (romantically) kissed a girl...not that I find one thing wrong with that...it's just that I haven't met a girl I wanted to kiss..and I like men...

although I guess if I was to kiss a girl it would be Katy Perry and I don't care if that is totally cliche or not...

But this is where I go all "let's piss off the peoples" on you and get on my soapbox and give my opinion on something...

MY BLOG

MY OPINION

Yes...it's a blog about something controversial

actually it ticks me off to say it is controversial because it shouldn't be...but for some the subject matter will be...

because this blog is about gay rights...

that's right people...I'm going there again...

MY BLOG

MY OPINON

The last time I did this I got unfriended by a few people and some argued with me...my feelings weren't hurt because if they wanted to unfriend me for my beliefs maybe we weren't really friends...and I always welcome the view from the other side but remember...

(See blog  "Freedom 90" for my previous foray into this subject)

MY BLOG

MY OPINON

So sit down and open your mind for a minute if it is closed and if you support gay rights please wave those rainbow colored pompoms...

I have a lot of gay friends...I'm not going to list them here because that would be to label them...and I don't like labels much...If I listed my gay friends I would also have to list who is blonde because to me I have so many other ways to describe them than who they sleep with...

I don't want someone to label me by who I sleep with...

which currently would be the label: NO ONE

And although it doesn't bother me to be in the "none" or "single" category I don't really want that to be the most interesting thing about me...

I believe in gay marriage.

I believe that if two men want to get married, or two women want to get married they have as much a right to as I do...

I don't really plan to get married again.

I had my "one and done" and since I am not having any more kids I really don't see the need to...but I have friends who would like to have that option.

Some want the label of "married"...they want to check that box that says "married" on forms...to say we are "Mr. and Mr."...to call each other "wife" or "husband"...

some want/need the tax benefits

and frankly I do not want to see one more gay couple have to face the pain of inheritance tax crap after they have just lost the one they love...that is just...well the word I want to use is not for a lady to say

I find it unfair that just because I was married to someone of the opposite sex that had I died while we were still married he could have inherited my estate without all the taxes that a gay couple would have pay just because they couldn't legally marry...

If a gay couple was together for 50 years is it right that if one spouse dies the other one has to pay a huge tax because they aren't recognized as legally the spouse?  Or , heaven forbid, if one died without a will the partner/spouse then might not inherit anything?

That's just wrong people...

And I am glad things are changing and more and more states are beginning to recognize same-sex marriages.

I don't want to have a fight about Christianity with this either...that is so much of a subject of fire and brimstone that I don't really want to touch it here and somehow it always gets nasty or hurtful.  I have a lot of Christian friends that are flat-out against it...and others that are like me that feel that it is wrong to deny them the right.

You can't control who someone else loves by making something illegal...

you can't control who someone loves...period...

My point is this: is it really going to hurt you if my friends in same-sex relationships get married?

It won't diminish your marriage or marriage in general...it just means that people who love each other can have a legal union just like straight couples can.

This all got stirred around in my head again because Houston passed an ordinance against discrimination and along with non-descrimination because of race, creed, and sex that sexual orientation and gender identity got put into it.

So it got some people in an uproar.

Heaven forbid that you had to hire a gay person to work for you...if not for gay people there would be a whole helluva lot less fabulousness and style in this world...so think about that next time you get your hair done...(ok that was cliche but frankly I think gay men do a great job of making women look good)

and I know many LGBT people in careers far outside of fashion, etc...does it really matter who someone sleeps with if they are the person who does your taxes or gives you your yearly checkup?

When I was trying to figure out the uproar about this I came across two things that made me pat myself on my darling little head because I couldn't figure out why someone would say these things...

1) I saw a comment that said "it will now force clergy to perform same-sex marriages and it goes against their religious beliefs"...

wow

I really don't know any couples---gay or otherwise---who would want to be married by someone who is hostile and forced to perform it.  Why would you?  A marriage should be a happy celebration and no one wants to be married by someone who is against it.  I'm sure if a same-sex couple went to a member of the clergy of their church/synagogue of choice and that person said "I am opposed to your marriage" that they would find someone else to perform the marriage.

But that was an argument against it...

The other...and this one really made me pat my darling head...

2) a pervert could now pose as a transgendered person and go into a public restroom and molest someone

double wow

This person was more worried about someone posing as transgendered (note I say "posing" here because the point of this would be that the pervert was not a transgender but faking it for the sake of access to molest) than the fact that a pervert could go into a restroom (which they can and do all the time ordinance or not).

REAL transgender people are just seeking to use a restroom comfortably.

I think men would likely be more disturbed by a transgender man in a dress coming into the men's room than a woman would be if that same person entered the ladies room.

I don't really care who is peeing next to me as long as I have my own privacy.

And frankly I have known some drag queens and transgendered people who could give me some tips on how to look as gorgeous as they do so I wouldn't mind washing my hands next to a drag queen or transgendered woman...in fact I once had a waitress who offered to stay late and give me a lesson on how she did her eyes...she was born "Bruce" but called herself "Paloma" but all I saw was fabulousness...

I have a wonderful dear old friend who has a beautiful family. (Mind you when I say old it is not because he is old but rather we have been friends for pretty much our whole lives and our moms were friends, etc...).

He has a handsome awesome husband and two gorgeous twin boys.

The only thing I can find to hate about him is not his sexuality...far from it...what I do hate about him is that we are literally almost the same age and he looks so darn much better than I do.  Damn man...like he still looks like we did in college.

I'm happy he lives in a state where he can be legally married to his fabulous husband and that they are able to have a family...I know he is an amazing dad not just by what I see/hear but also due to the fact that more than maybe 20 or 20 million times when we were in college he had to clean up the mess that was me.  Poor thing...but he handled me pretty well so I am pretty darn sure he can handle kindergarteners...and trust me I am not far from being a kindergartener...

It would break my heart for him not to have this amazing life he leads because he is gay...and he is not my only friend who is in this position.

All I am saying here is to keep an open mind...

I love all my friends and I want everyone to be loved and happy...and frankly I can't wait until the day I can go to a gay or lesbian wedding here in Texas...because then it would mean that all of my friends can get married...

I don't have any say so on who someone else loves so why should anyone else?

Because isn't that what is really is about...love?

I'd say I am sorry if I upset anyone...but sorry, I am not sorry...I just want to see this country be fair to all of its citizens...

ok stepping off my soapbox again...but you never know when I might climb back on again

MY BLOG

MY OPINION

Inspiration Song: "I Kissed a Girl"...that's the first song I really got to know Katy with...I may not kiss girls but I know girls who do and I think it is just fine...

Bye Darlings---free your minds...accept humans as humans and not by labels...let everyone love because love is all we need...(and yes, I just got two song titles into that last little bit...)





1 comment: