Sunday, September 25, 2011

All That's Known

I know one thing for sure...I have ignored this blog...

My children are back in the full swing of school. They are learning new things every day.

I hope they never stop learning...because I know I learn new things every day myself.

Sometimes the things I learn are really important...like:

no matter how long she is gone, I will miss my mother daily

that missing watching your son score a touchdown can make you cry...even if he says "it's ok Mom" and you missed it because you were helping his sister with something important

that senior year is hard on your child...and you...because you know she is leaving...

that boys are so much easier than girls when it comes to getting dressed for dances

that it is waaaaay to easy to shop on Amazon...just click and it's yours...too easy...

that being "there" for a friend feels good...



Some lessons I am learning have to do with me NOW...like:

I don't mind getting into my bed and it's just me...I don't mind being alone there...

If I eat one cookie, I will eat two...

Cheese is kryptonite to me...so is wine...I have a lot of kryptonite

that if I don't work out, I feel "ick"...and like a slug

that spin class is much more fun than working out on a machine

that Dimples is doing his best to make me move...even when my knees don't want to

that I may never be a size 6...but I am pretty happy at an 8

I miss Oprah...I really do...


Some lessons I am learning are "practical" ones...in the past week I have learned:

that if you put bananas in a paper bag with an apple or two they will ripen up quickly

that pulling my hair back into a headband and clipping it is stressing my hair and making it break off

Nordstrom is kryptonite to me...I need to stay out of there

watching my son play football is not as horrifying as I always thought it would be...sometimes he flat out amazes me...

banana bread is easy to make...recipe on bottom of blog...bad for you...

my chicken spaghetti is worth the 1000 calories per serving that it is...but you can't eat much of it...no, not sharing that recipe today...I will not contribute to your downfall...



And then I have learned some fun and funny lessons...

wielding a glue gun while tanked up on wine makes you put rhinestones all over your Halloween costume...and it ends up as a hot mess and not hotness...mine looks like a 4th grade art project...

a corset can give you a really shapely figure...but hell to the no I'm not wearing one except for Halloween...that is when you have permission to dress like a sleaze...

dirty martinis are safe to drink...White Russians...notsomuch...

don't sunbathe topeless unless you know the pool boy will NOT be there...

if you hit a big huge cockroach with your shoe and he is above you he will fall on you...


Well, you get the picture...whether is is learning how to use a function on my computer or that wine and a glue gun don't mix, I do learn things every day. And I hope to keep learning. I'm learning things about myself, about my children, about life...

So today I learned to make banana bread. I am NOT a baker...but AngelAmy made some incredible banana bread the other night and the kids were begging for more so she gave me the recipe...since it is in a cookbook I don't think she will mind me sharing it with you...I hope mine turns out as good as hers because hers was amazing....

So here you go....


Best Damn Banana Bread Ever

2 sticks Fleishman's margarine (AngelAmy insists on it)
2 cups sugar
6 very ripe bananas (see my lesson above on how to ripe)
4 eggs
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
pecans...optional....

Cream together the sugar and margarine.

Mash bananas and add to creamed margarine/sugar mixture. Once incorporated, add the eggs one at a time.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture. Mix well. Add in vanilla. Add pecans if you wish...or walnuts...

Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees or until done.

Voila...you have the best damn banana bread ever...

Inspiration Song: "All That's Known"...from the Spring Awakening Cast Album...sung by the amazing Jonathan Groff (who was on Glee)...one of the best musicals I have ever seen...incredible music...incredible voices...Lea Michelle (also of Glee) is on the album too...

Bye Darlings....learn something new today...and share it with me...I need to keep learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment