Monday, October 2, 2017

What the World Needs Now (is Love, Sweet Love...)

Hello Darlings...

I have a heavy heart tonight...

so much going on in our country...and to top it off I had chemo and radiation today and now the demon known as Decadron is coursing through my body with a raging vengeance...

Decadron---he lies...

He whispers like a lover:
eat the cake
eat the ice cream
eat the cheese
eat the bacon
eat the pasta
eat ALL of it
because it won't matter...

lie...it puts on a pound on me even if I eat totally clean...

it's a demon...

it also makes me fidgety, fussy, antsy, and triggered...

So today putting that drug on top of all the heaviness of our world might make this an interesting blog indeed.

Remember---my blog, my opinion...

So in the past 5 weeks we have had:
a hurricane that destroyed many south Texas coastal towns
the rains from a hurricane causing devastating flooding in Texas
a hurricane destroy parts of Florida and cause damage there
two hurricanes literally destroying Puerto Rico
wildfires burning in the Northwest
Tom Petty may or may not be dead
and
a horrible man caused the greatest mass shooting in the history of our country

That's a lot...

a helluva lot

and on social media I see lots of finger pointing and blame and politics and ugliness...

I am no fan of trump.

I have made that clear.

But I'm not going to discuss him on this blog because that is NOT what you come here for.

I saw so much ugly on FB in the last few days about Puerto Rico and why they aren't getting help, and now today about the shooting.

Stop it.

Stop. It.

STOP IT

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

S
T
O
P
I
T

just stop...

and stop calling each other names...

I am no more a fragile triggered (ok the decadron IS triggering me but not my liberal stance) libta$# snowflake than all trump supporters are deplorable racist gun-loving people...

you can't put people into categories...

I don't want to get in to who says what...who tweets what...who supports what...

we need to stop degrading people or putting them all in one basket...

we need to stop doing that people...

stop calling each other ugly things because of our personal beliefs...

How about we take a day and just show LOVE?

How about we don't just "send prayers" but we actually HIT OUR KNEES AND PRAY

I pray every single day...

I have a list...

and I have extended prayer time when I am in the Trilogy machine getting nuked while wearing a mask that makes me look like LaaLaa the Telletubby.  It makes for some nuclear powered praying.

Puerto Rico needs our prayers---not criticism of the government here or there---people have REAL needs and those needs are not being met because it's a mess down there...roads are messed up...gas can't get to the gas stations so that drivers can get to work at the docks...

The families of the Las Vegas shooting need our prayers---not a discussion of who the kinds of people are that go to country music festivals or what the shooter was like politically...he was sick...very very sick...

I have friends in Houston who can't live in their homes that need our prayers...and one precious student had her sweet dog die due to the stress...

Right now there is a mom in Puerto Rico hoping that she got enough water from the water tank (where they have to carry their own vessels and fill up) to make it through the day.

Right now in Puerto Rico there is a man who needs insulin...

Right now in Houston there is a woman who lost all her children's baby photos in the flood...and they aren't digitally saved...

Right now in Florida is a bride who's wedding gown was destroyed in the storm...

Right now in the Florida Keys there are people who's homes were leveled and they have no place to live or work...

Right now in this country is a father who lost a son to a gunman...or a daughter...or a mother who will never kiss her child again because a crazy man shot them...

Right now there are people who were trampled in the rush to get away from the gunfire in Vegas that survived physically but will forever be scarred emotionally...

Right now there is someone in Montana that lost their long held family land due to wildfires...

Right now there is a man in Houston who doesn't know how he is going to rebuild his family home...

Right now in Rockport there are kids that have no school to go to...

Right now I, and many like me in this country, had chemo today to try and kill something that is trying to kill us.  I might have been the healthiest human on the 29th floor of the Memorial Hermann Professional Building today---and I have a deadly form of cancer.

Right now there is suffering...

there is pain....

there is grief....

there is damage...

there is loss...

there is fear...

there is death...

and there is hate...

so much hate...

so much blame and finger pointing....

so many nasty names called from BOTH sides politically...(one is not worse than the other)

I see things on social media that make my heart hurt so much when I see humans call other humans terrible things...

We need LESS HATE

we need MORE LOVE

What the world needs now is love sweet love...

it's the only thing that there's just too little of...

So my friends I want to present a challenge to all of us---just for the next few days let's keep social media full of love and hope (and go ahead and promote your businesses because we all gotta do what we do)

Let's see love...acts of love...

go out and do a random act of love or kindness

apologize to someone you hurt

forgive someone who hurt you

stop calling people names

and if someone does it on your post ask them to gently rephrase or remove

let's build some love in this world and stop name calling and finger pointing

Let's support each other and pull together...

I think God is sending us a signal that we need to love each other and stop the hate.

I hate our president but my saying so will not change him.  Nor will any of you telling me he is wonderful will change my mind.

and if I hate him, how does that affect YOU?

I'm only saying this because we all seem to take things on social media so PERSONALLY that we feel an attack on the person we support is an attack on ourselves.

I had a friend accuse me of hating on trump supporters on my newsfeed....I went back and checked and found none.  Why?  because I don't attack his supporters on my newsfeed.  I may pick on him but how does that affect you if you voted for him?  Why is my calling him a name personally offensive to YOU?

just like the football players on the sidelines---it might feel offensive to  you so don't watch football...but does it affect how you are able to go through your day (other than not watching football which YOU choose to do and no one forced you to).

We post these things on social media and allow our friends to say ugly and insulting things about the opposition and we don't defend them (I did today---a friend with an opposing view posted something and another friend attacked her and so I defended the friend with the opposing view and the friend who attacked graciously apologized).

Do you dislike me because I am liberal?

because I believe in gun control?

because I defend LGBTQ rights?

do MY personal beliefs affect YOUR day?

am I a bad person because of them?

NO...I am a good person...and if you dislike me for my personal beliefs we shouldn't be friends because you don't know me in the right way...and we all have a right to our beliefs...

you might think I am wrong for what I THINK but do I deserve to be attacked for it?

does anyone?

and why attack?

I have a dear friend who had to change her name on social media and block someone because the man literally spewed hate on every comment she made.  What's wrong with people?

Hating someone for their stance on human rights is like hating someone because they love the color purple---it only matters if that person attacks others for it....or if the purple lover paints everything purple (I love purple but we only need so much of it)

I can't fathom the demons that someone must have to bring 19 weapons into a hotel and plan to spray gunfire over people who are literally trapped in a venue.

I control my demons that tell me to throw glitter on people...but that demon is easier to control than the one that tells someone to kill...

I can't fathom what it must be like to return to what was once your beloved home and find it unlivable and your prized possessions and treasures destroyed...

I can't fathom telling my child to have fun at a concert and then learn he was killed...

I just can't fathom all this tragedy and hate...

So can we all try and be a little kinder?

Maybe not post something ugly about the political opposition 10 times a day every day...

what has happened in this country since August 24th has been hard to accept and live through...

I know many of you are so passionate about your beliefs and feelings but how about a day of healing?

How about a day where we see puppies and kittens and baby giraffes....and babies!

How about a day where we share love....and celebrate it...

How about a little less of the vitriol and a little more vitality...

How about we just love one another and come together?

Will a little more love make a happy ending? (Bonus points to you if you caught the song reference and yes I am mixing my songs here)

We need to find a way to approach things with more love...

I'm going to pledge to start each day with a meditation on love and how I can spread and share love each day...

I'm going to make my social media a happy place for a while with lots of food pictures and Dragon the cat photos and happy things...

I'm going to go to radiation and pray even more and harder...

I'm going to hug my students until they think I am a leech...

I'm going to tell my children just how loved they are even if they think it is mushy...

I'm going to support my friends...

I'm going to love harder...

love stronger...

love better...

Try it...come from love and not hate...

make peace with your posts

resist the urge to name call

and just for a day find love in all you do

be motivated by love

be moved by it

and let it shine through...

because the people in this country need it...

pray for those who need our prayers...

what the world needs now is love sweet love

it's the only thing that there's just too little of....

Inspiration Song: "What the World Needs Now" written by Burt Bacharach (ok I am a totally BB fan).  Dionne Warwicks version is lovely and the Glee version was very well done but my favorite by far is the Broadway For Orlando version (recorded for the victims of the Pulse Nightclub mass shooting). All my favorite Broadway stars...the video is pretty great too...

Video:

http://www.playbill.com/video/broadway-for-orlando-the-exclusive-music-video

Lyrics:
What the world needs now is love sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love sweet love
No not just for some but for everyone

[Verse 1]
Lord we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last until the end of time

[Chorus]
What the world needs now is love sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love sweet love
No not just for some but for everyone

[Verse 2]
Lord, we don't need another meadow
There are corn fields and wheat fields enough to grow
There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine
Oh listen Lord, if you want to know

[Chorus]
What the world needs now is love sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love sweet love
No not just for some but for eve...everyone

[Bridge]
What the world needs now, Oh
Needs now
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
Need a little love
All we need love, Oh
What we need is love


[Chorus]
What the world needs now is love sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love sweet love
No not just for some but for every, everyone

[Outro]
Ooh Love
Ooh Love
Sweet love

Bye  Darlings---prayers and love for all...we need it

No comments:

Post a Comment