Sunday, April 24, 2011

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile

OMG

OMG

OMG

Oprah...in 3 days...

OMG

My aunt Jane and I leave early on Tuesday to head up to Chi-town. We get there early afternoon. The weather is predicted to be stormy.

I don't care...

We will still find some fun things to do with our time.

I got an email from one of the producers last night...I have to be at Harpo Studios by 6:00 am fully dressed and ready to go. GOTTESS and GOTT and GOTTSON were here for dinner so GOTTESS and I re-read the email twice to be sure we were right...yes...6 am...

I thought to myself "wow...I gotta look smokin' hot at 6?"...

not easily done...

even at 6:00 PM in my case.

But, I"m not sure I'll even be able to sleep the night before so getting up at 4:00 am might not be too big of a problem.

Yesterday my most stylish friend, Athenagal, came over to help me pick out what to wear on the show. Athenagal made the Houston Chronicle Best Dressed List...before she was 30.

What I love about her sense of style is NOT that she wears nothing but expensive designer clothing...no...her style is about STYLE and not what you spend on the clothes.

She always looks amazing...

and she is fearless with her choices...

Sometimes she will wear something that on mere mortals like me would look like a costume...but since she is a goddess, it totally works and she rocks it and it looks amazing.

So I needed her help...

We went into the closet and I tried on all of the possibilities.

I have ruled out the black Gucci that was my mom's because the Oprah people say not to do black or white or patterns.

So we are going with color...

I want to be seen sitting in that audience!

We narrowed it down to 2 choices. Both are great and I love both dresses equally.

Athenagal told me to bring both of them so that I can have a back-up in case one of them ends up with a problem.

Good advice...

So that morning I will wake up and see if I feel "turquoise" or "coral".

The turquoise is pretty hot...very fitted...hugs my curves in the RIGHT way.

and oh yes...it is a size 8!!!!!

woooooooo hoooooo

Now about the shoes...the shoes are hot too. They are silk print shoes (shades of green and blues) and they wrap at the ankle and tie in a bow in the back.

They. Are. Hot.

I call them my "girl shoes" because when I wear them I look like the girl in the DSW commercial (in fact they are in the commercial...in the pink combo)...girls follow me and ask where I got the shoes...and yes, they come from DSW...

I wore them when I taught art on Thursday.

Hellish day...so rocking the shoes made it better.

Why hellish? I taught middle school art, I had to supervise 6th graders hanging up all the art for the art show, I had lacrosse equipment to deal with (and lax coaches...but they are cute so that isn't so bad)...

but the worst part was what I did when I moved my car into the teacher's parking spot...

I hit a car...and not just any car...

I hit Musical Muse!!!!!

She was cool about it but damn....and I feel so bad I did it...

GOTT declared it awesome...

So back to the shoes...'cause it's all about the shoes...

So I have those amazing shoes on and little girls are screaming all day about the shoes. My son told me it was the topic of conversation at not one but 2 lunch tables. One of the administrative staff ladies said it was the topic of conversation for then too...

As I went up the stairs...yes THE stairs I was behind the cute and darling 8th grade lax coach and the little girls are screaming up the stairs about my shoes...he pauses and asks what they are talking about...

I let him get a look...it was a nice look...LOL...

but see, these are shoes that men don't "get"...he said I have great calves...he didn't "get" the shoes...another male friend declared them "complicated" when he saw them...men don't "get" shoes that tie and wrap and that you can't run in.

but girls do...

and those are girl shoes...

I think Oprah will approve.

But I have digressed....

So on to the other outfit choice:

The other dress is pretty hot and awesome too. It is a coral silk strapless number that drapes in all the right ways.

I wore it the other night when I went out with Twirler Girl. We had a blast and I always enjoy spending time with her.

Here's a photo...forgive that it was windy and the photo was taken with an iPhone!

so it is a blurry photo but you get a glimpse of the coral dress.

I also have amazing shoes for that one...and they are amazing because they are the same shoes as the other ones but they are in an orange/pink/brown combo.

girls...go get those shoes...

So Athenagal helped me choose jewelry, purse, etc. and we feel good that I'm gonna look good either way.

Now if my hair will just cooperate that day...

and my hair does not necessarily like to cooperate at 6:00am...it is always much better after a cocktail...just like me...

tonight AngelAmy is coming to stay with me...she will be here for 2 nights. All this Oprah stuff is happening because of her...because she trolled the oprah.com website and found out they were doing a weight loss show I am now flying to Chicago to see Oprah. It's a dream come true...and AngelAmy and I had a lot of adventures in high school (some day I will share the perm story) but isn't it amazing that years later we can still find ways to get each other into trouble and fun...

tonight we get to drink some wine and laugh...and we don't have to worry that our parents will catch us...and tomorrow we are hoping to have dinner with TwirlerGirl...I better pack first or I might forget something after wine and dinner with the chicas at my favorite place (George's Pastaria...go there people...great wine/great food).

so wish me luck, darlings...they haven't decided an air date for the show so they told us to just look at Oprah.com and watch for it...

I plan on having a blast while I am there...and soaking up every moment of it...and it couldn't be better 'cause I have Jane with me through it all...and I will definitely have some Chicago deep dish pizza (even though I am really a thin crust kind of girl) and ...

I will share the same air space as...

Oprah...

Inspiration Song: "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile"...from the musical Annie...because my 8th graders are doing "Annie" and you ARE never fully dressed without a smile...and I plan to be smiling a lot...

Bye Darlings...pray for me...and put a smile on your face!

1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT to see you in the audience. Athenagal will do you proud! Then we will all be putting you in her category...Best dressed shrinking violet!!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete