Saturday, July 3, 2010

Home

Home.........

I finally have by camper boy back HOME!

He loves camp...loves loves loves it...he basically exists during the year (except when playing sports) and then LIVES at camp.

The camp has a saying:
"Life is good. Camp is better."

The Cutest Boy in the World (TCBITW) agrees with that...he comes alive every June in the hill country and despite no air conditioning, bad showers, bugs, not-so-great food, and living with 15 other boys, he thinks that camp is the BEST.

I can handle the 25 days he is gone due to the fact that I myself went to camp (as I have blogged here about) and it was the same way with me---despite living with no a/c (and we didn't have "personal" clip-on fans back then in the dark ages), bad showers (that leaked), bugs (Daddy-long-legs, scorpions, gross bugs in the Nature shack), and living with 13 other girls (our food was GREAT so no complaints there), I existed July-May and LIVED for the month of June. 4 weeks just outside of Austin...heaven on earth...and I still have camp friends that I can happily tell you I would give a kidney to (my mark of real love)...

So after my happy day of "moving the bar", I woke up on Thursday and got ready to jump in the shower and thought "hmmmm...let me see that bar in that better position again"...and...

UH OH

I had to move the bar back...

So I freaked out a little...

And then I freaked out some more...

but then I calmed down and said "to hell with it" and put the scale away and decided that I coulnd't get too hung up about it because, after all, I was about to finally get to see TCBITW after 25 days.

The drive seemed to take forever...but I was so happy that I was going to get to see him and that after picking him up we were going to have lunch with my precious nephew, my gorgeous and adorable niece and the most beautiful sis-in-law in the world...and then we were going to get to see our old friends The Rockin' J's...

we got to camp...it was "drive-through" closing so that meant no awards ceremony to watch and we just had to sit in the car and inch it up in the line...which took an hour...I could have gotten out of the car and run to his cabin but that would have been unfair to my husband and it was muddy...and drizzly...and I was afraid counselor boys would make me help them clean up...

So we inch along and get to the stop where they give you the awards (all the boys get patches for doing well in their classes and a really cool picture of themself and their cabin and it is marked with their classes they took that year). So we say our son's name and one very excited counselor blurts out that my kid got a big award.

This happened to us before...the counselor "spilling the beans" and the boys mean well and are excited to share...but I really would have loved for it to have come from my son...but the adorable boy couldn't help himself and I puffed with pride for my boy.

I should have known that is what would happen when we went to a drive-through closing...because it was a drive-through when he won a big award last time.

I really wanted to see him get named "bulldogger"...that's the award...he was one of 3 boys in his "ranch" (they divide the camp into 2 "ranch" groups)who had the highest points for the term. Oh well, he still was very excited to tell me all about it and I was excited to listen. Sorry, I just have to brag because I didn't have an audience to see me jump up and down and get excited at the awards ceremony!

After an hour of sitting in the car and waiting, we were tantalizingly close to finally reaching his cabin (it was a LONG line of cars)and wouldn't you know it...the jerks in front of us GOT OUT OF THEIR CAR AND DECIDED THAT THEY NEEDED TO HAVE A CHAT WITH THE COUNSELORS. I almost got out of my car and said "hey! you have your boy...let me get to mine!" because it was a one-lane line. And we had been told if we want to visit to go through the line and then PARK and enjoy visiting. But finally they moved their car and we got to TCBITW...

And the counselors loaded the trunk and junk for us!

After that we had lunch with my beautiful sis-in-law and the other cutest kids in the world. The kids had some of those vuvuzuelas (the horns they are blowing at the world cup) courtesy of their grandfather who lives and works in South Africa. I asked the kids to bring them so I could see one...and hear it...all I can say is "wow, that makes a lot of noise"...I can only imagine a stadium full of them. But it is a really cool souvenier. It was great seeing them and I am lucky to have a sister-in-law that is such a sweetheart. I love her...

Then we headed to Boerne to see our friends the Rockin' J's...they moved to Boerne 2 years ago and when I visit I "get" it...why they moved...and I'm a bit jealous. Their son is the other Cutest Boy in the World and is my TCBITW's best friend. They were so happy to see each other and the men were happy for their reunion and I got to have some quality time with my friend...it was a good day!

Their house overlooks a gorgeous bluff...and they situated the house perfectly on the lot. It is the only house I can honestly say that I could move straight into and not change one thing...not one...maybe that is because without consulting each other we used some of the same paint colors, cabinet finishes, and granite! It is the most gorgeous house and if I didn't love them so much I would be jealous.

We spent the night and then headed to San Antonio and had a heavenly lunch at Mi Tierra and did some shopping in the mercado. I managed to behave at lunch (chicken breast with squash...yummy) but did have to buy some leche quemada at the bakery. What is leche quemada? You don't really want to know because then you will want some---it is like a Mexican caramel fudge...sooooooo good.

After lunch (no margarita for me even though I REALLY wanted one) we headed...HOME!

Now that you have read my travelogue you are probably bored...at least this can put you to sleep...

So once we were home I hightailed it to the gym because I had basically sat in the car for 2 days straight and I needed to MOVE...and it felt suprisingly good to do so!

Today when I got up I decided to go ahead and get on the scale and guess what?

I WAS BACK DOWN TO WHERE I WAS ON WEDNESDAY! I GOT TO MOVE THE BAR BACK!!!!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is my new home on the scale!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you can have your leche quemada and eat it too...

Today we saw "Toy Story 3"...I cried through the end of it...and then we had dinner at my aunt's house with a lot of family and friends that are basically family which makes it "home" for me...because home is not really a place, but where your family is...

Right now my home is a mess...we had painters and I still haven't settled from the remodel so my new project is to FIX my home. Ke$ha Barbie's space upstairs is a hazard zone so I have to get her to clean it up or we might have to call a "haz mat" (hazardous materials) team in...

But at least I have both kids home...to heck with the fact that I have a mess on my table...

And then there is that trunk to deal with............

So home is where the heart is...home is the best...home is...home!

Inspiration song: what else? "Home" by Michael Buble...because he is Buble...and I could listen to his dreamy voice all day long...

Happy celebrating the fact that we live in the greatest country in the world!!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow's blog will be all about memories of the 4th!


bye darlings...

No comments:

Post a Comment