Wednesday, June 16, 2010

To Sir with Love

Today was a bit of a boring day for me...and most of you read this blog to be amused or pick up some sort of diet or excercise tip or inspiration. But today I got nada...nothing...all I did was my hour on the elliptical. I behaved myself food-wise since last night my friends made unbelievealby yummy food for the dinner party we went to and I drank a good bit of the wine I brought...so today is about behaving...because lambchops, sorbet (with a touch of whipped cream) and creamy potatoes and a lot of red wine are most certainly NOT behaving...

But yesterday I got a nice little surprise...

I love getting gifts that are a reflection of someone's love and esteem for you.

Now I am NOT talking about jewelry from the men in our lives...as much as I love things that come in a lovely blue box from a store that begins with the letter "T", and REALLY NICE things come in those boxes, I'm talking about gifts that someone has put some thought into...and those things don't necessarily cost a lot of $$$.

I got a gift like that yesterday. It was from my friend God of the Theater (GOTT). It is my birthday present.

No, my birthday is not until November.

But he and his wife found it and he really wanted me to have it to enjoy NOW and not wait until later.

It is a wonderful LARGE mug...with the word "Wicked" on the front with a pair of legs that look like they belong to the Wicked Witch of the West.

On the back is the best part...

it says:
"Don't make me call the flying monkeys!"

I totally love it. I don't want anyone to ever drink from it but me. I love it so much that I want to use it every day.

Now if you really know me, you know why this gift is....PERFECT...

I love coffee and hot tea

I love the musical "Wicked" (my favorite)

I once played the bad witch in a very bad version of "Oz" for Junior League Children's Theater (my kids said it was typcasting that they cast me as the witch)

I have a t-shirt (that GOTT loves) that says "don't make me get out my flying monkeys"...I wear it to make a point sometimes

I am a diva...and I pitch my diva fits...and calling the flying monkeys is what I do best...I pulled such a good one at our last rehearsal for Cinderella (the last show I worked with GOTT on and costumed) that GOTT applauded me and told me it was the best acting he had seen on stage that day...I mean, I REALLY KNOW HOW TO PULL A DIVA FIT...trust me...

So GOTT sees this mug and gets it for me...because he GETS me...he is my soul brother...he inspires me and lets me run wild with my imagination and creativity...
he lets me have my diva fits...and he applauds them...unless they are directed at him...even then he is pretty good about it.

So he got me the perfect gift...and I love it because it means as much to me as if he had gone and found some pearl earrings...because that mug shows just how well he knows me...and really, I'm not so much of a pearl earring girl...

His birthday is coming up...I did pretty good last year but I will have to work hard to top this one...

And I have to think of what I can do to show him how much his friendship means to me and how blessed I am to have him as my "brother from another mother"...I love him and his family so much...his wife is AMAZING and his son is INCREDIBLE and I love them...just love them...

So this blog is a bit of that gift and thank you...because like I said in my last blog, we need to take the time to tell the people we love that we love them...

So, GOTT, you better read this...because it is for you...it is my thank-you note.

And my inspiration song for the day is: "To Sir with Love"...Glee Cast...

Because when I hear that song, I think of GOTT and all he does for the kids in the choir and the drama classes...because what he teaches them is way more than how to sing a note or stand on stage. He teaches them to be brave (do you know how much courage it takes for a 14 year old kid to stand up in front of his friends and sing...alone...and act?). He teaches them how to work in a group. He teaches them harmony (not just singing...think about it). He teaches them to THINK (he always lets the actor try something before he gives them direct direction). He teaches them to be responsible (for their lines, their blocking, their props, etc.). He is a coach...he is a parent...he is a friend...he is...GOTT...

My children have been lucky enough to have GOTT in their lives...and I am too...

I love you, GOTT...thank you for being my friend (that's another song...but "To Sir with Love" is really more you...)

And to the rest of you reading this...go out and tell the GOTT's in your life how they inspire you...it means the world...just like getting a coffee mug that perfectly sums up who you are and how well someone knows you...

I promise not to call the flying monkeys...

Bye darlings...

No comments:

Post a Comment