Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lose My Breath

yes this blog title is ALMOST the same as a previous...but it's not the same blog...that was "Catch My Breath"...this time I am losing it...

I feel sorry for all of you that are not able to take JayVee's spin class...

or any class she teaches...

Yes, you poor unfortunate souls are missing out on the best fitness instructor ever...

and lucky lucky me she is not just my instructor but one of my dearest friends...

She.Is.Amazing.

Like totally...

as in totally amazing...

Now lest you think I am using this blog to butter her up and she will go easy on me...

wrong...

(big honking noise that means "wrong" or "bad answer")

nope...

She will probably go all "open a can of whoop ass" on me even more..not that she doesn't already...

JayVee has been with me pretty much every step of this journey.  She and the Tamster.

I don't know what I would do without them.

Tamster made me come back to spin class...

JayVee made me want to stay.

When we met she was recovering from ACL surgery so she wasn't teaching spin but she would take class.  She would pull her bike next to me and cheer me on...she and my Amazing Katherine (the best cheerleader...ever!).

She encouraged me to try new classes even though I weighed well over 200 lbs.

I fell in love with her classes and Je'taime Jamies classes too.

Between the two of them and Dimples I got myself back to fighting weight...

Dimples moved away (but he is still my brother in my heart and I can hear his voice telling me "no excuses" when I want to wimp out on things) but I still have JayVee and Je'taime Jamie here to keep me going.  And SweetSally and SweetSallie...

But JayVee has been there for me in ways I can't repay...things that go way beyond telling me what tension to put on my bike and how fast to peddle...

Like taking me to church when I needed to learn something...

Encouraging me to get my spin instructor certification because she knew I sometimes just spin alone when I can't make a class...that way I was safe...and enjoyed it...

Inviting me to family holidays and celebrations when she knows I don't have my kids so I won't be alone...

Helping me after surgery...

Eating crap with me I shouldn't eat and then promising to shred it off me next time in class (and yes she always keeps her promises)

And just generally being a very dear friend...

I hope all of you have JayVees in your life...

I have several...and I am afraid that if I start to name one I will forget someone...but they know who they are...they are the people that prop me up when I need balance and they get me out of the gutter when I am low...

But this time I just needed to thank her for all she does for me...

And for killing me every Tuesday at 9:30 in spin class!

Today I hit an all-time high on my calorie burn and boy did I have a blast doing it....here is a little sample of her playlist...go ahead, be jealous...

"Would I lie to you" (Eurythmics)
"Don't worry child" (Swedish House Mafia)
"rock and roll fantasy" (Bad Company)
"No scrubs" (TLC...I so need to do a blog called "no scrubs"...)
"Lose my Breath" (Destiny's child)
"The One that Got Away" (Katy Perry)
"Instant Replay" (Dan Hartman)
"A View to a Kill" (Duran Duran)

I'm sure some of you are looking at that list and saying "huh?"  but it worked...it totally worked...and she can choreograph like nobody's business...and she can put together a playlist that makes everyone happy and it takes us to that next level.

That's why I "preach" to any and all why I love spin.  Because you can be in a class with a good instructor and go from pure 70's rock and roll to the latest alternative (Bad Company to Swedish House Mafia) and just shred it.

And not kill your knees...

And burn calories like nobody's business...

I have a childhood friend who teaches spin out in LA.  He's totally gorgeous...has a gorgeous hubby and two gorgeous twin boys (the whole family is gorgeous....did I mention they are gorgeous?).  I would KILL to get to go to one of his classes...and hopefully soon I can go to LA and visit my awesome Aunt Gayle and also take in one of his classes. My Tommy...are you listening (reading?)...I'm so coming and you have to play Kylie AND Ke$ha for me and tell everyone in the class that I have known you longer than any of them and I in turn will tell them that you pretty much got me through my last 2 years of college...I love you My Tommy...always will...now go and make a baby girl and name her after me because my name goes with your boys names...I will smock her dresses...

sorry for the personal message but I love that man...

and for some reason I seem to only really love men who have other men in their lives...what does that say about me?

oh yes...that I have great taste...

back on topic...sorta...

I totally stalk his blog where he lists the tracks he plays in class...I get new music ideas from him and then in turn I help JayVee and Je'taime Jamie with theirs...I give them cd's of music I think works and they choose what they like and have fun with it.

And then there are days when I just feel old school and suddenly one of them ends up with a CD full of TLC and Earth Wind and Fire...

Like last week I gave Je'taime Jamie "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" by the Scissor Sisters and I am 99% sure I might have been the only one in class who even knows who the Scissor Sisters are (and I frankly am only that cool because Ke$ha Barbie introduced me to them and says they give the best concerts ever).  But she choreographed it great and everyone enjoyed the song...and Tamster wasn't there to complain about it (she hates my music most of the time).

13 years ago a friend dragged me to a spin class.

I was terrified...

but I totally fell in love with it...it is truly my favorite way to burn calories and clear my mind and just feel amazing...

because when I am done with class...dripping in sweat (today my housekeeper thought I had gotten drenched in the rain)...tired but happy...starving...energized...calories shredded...

well, I am a happy girl...

spinning helped to give me back my body...

but it really gave me a better gift...

friends...

because I got the Tamster...and PrettyTiff...and CuteChristine...and April Showers...and Je'Taime Jamie...and DawnDawn...

and it gave me JayVee...and the Hunk (her husband) and her beautiful children...

and that is a gift that is perfect...

even if she makes me want to vomit...or scream...or die...every Tuesday at 9:30...(and Monday's at 9:30 when I can get back to Total Body Jam).

So JayVee...this blog is for you...for killing me...and loving me...thank you my sweet friend!

Inspiration Song: "Lose my Breath" by Destiny's Child...I watched the Super Bowl with JayVee and we marveled at Beyonce and Michelle and Kelly...amazing...but also because JayVee totally rocked this song with choreography today and I want to do it again and again...

Bye Darlings...I hope you have someone in your life that inspires you to work harder...faster...stronger...better...I have been blessed with several...but JayVee is my chief ass kicker and I hope you have one too!



No comments:

Post a Comment