Sunday, June 19, 2011

You Spin Me Round

Spinning...that's me...

Not just on a spin bike...

seems like I was spinning my wheels a bit last week...both literally and figuratively...driving all over town for costume stuff and then having some personal issues where one thing would get planned and then cancelled and I had to reorganize my days around that...

like completely buying all the groceries to make a certain meal only to have the meal cancelled as I walked out of the grocery store with all the groceries purchased...not my friend's fault (the rescheduling) but that is how my timing seemed to be all week and weekend. But I"m cooking that meal tomorrow so no damage is done and all my ingredients are still good...

or here's another example...I spent 2 hours yesterday learning a dance to do in a flash mob only to come hone to discover the day of the flash mob is when I need to pick up The Cutest Boy in the World from camp...at least I had a fun workout with GOTTESS and GOTT...

or heading out on I-10 to go and fetch a friend from the airport and then my poor friend texted me her plane was delayed...at least I wasn't down the road far at all...so I headed to sonic and got me a Route 44 Diet Dr. Pepper with Vanilla (easy ice)...

But today...today I did something on the spin bike I have never done.

I sorta, well basically I taught a spin class.

You see what happened was...

There was no spin class scheduled today at the club. JayVee cancelled it because we have notoriously low attendance on holidays and special days like Father's Day.

Today was Father's day...so no class.

Knowing that, I invited Trainer Girl to join me at the club and we would make our own spin class. I knew the room would be empty and so I brought my boom box and made a play list.

Trainer Girl and I climb onto the bikes and we start rolling...we get through our warmup and we are about 15 minutes in when a friend pops his head in and remarks that we are really early for class...

I inform him that there is no class...

he was not exactly happy...

and then said his wife and daughter were coming too...

I invited him and his family to join us...but warned him that my playlist might now be his favorite (he hates Britney and I had some Brit on there).

So next thing I know he and the fam are pulling in bikes...so the guy that is working and in charge of the desk at the club comes in and turns on the BIG stereo for us...

So I ask them:

"Do you want me to guide us? Teach?"

I got an "Amen" from the choir...so I pulled my bike up front so I wouldn't have to yell and we started rolling along...

Another friend joined us...and then some lady I didn't know came in.

I taught a class to 6 people...

And here is the miracle...

they seemed to like it...a lot...

They liked my crazy music...they liked what I had them do...and my friend even put up with the Britney because his daughter, wife and I told him to.

I did pretty good...in an hour I burned 566 calories....that is about 100 more than usual...I guess it was the adrenaline and knowing I had to keep going because they were watching me.

So as I was pedaling along I had a brief thought that it was kind of a miracle that I could do it at all. 15 months ago I would not have dreamed I would take a spin class much less have the balls (sorry, sometimes I need to be crude) to teach a class.

I'm no expert...far from it...but I think it might be something I could do.

I'm pretty good with the music...I have a good ear for what will work...that being said I did put one song on the playlist that was a "fail" and I stopped it 1/3 of the way in...

I've taken enough spin to know how to work to the music and what works to get your heart rate up.

So tomorrow I am going to go and talk to JayVee about what it would take for me to be a spin teacher...maybe she will let me teach with her for a while to get the hang of it but I think I did a decent job today.

I'm sort of scared to do it...and for about 5 minutes today I was scared to lead a class...but sometimes doing something that scares you a little is good for you.

Who knows...maybe I will become Spinderella 2...

Inspiration Song: "You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive...great little 80's song...but I recently saw the lead singer on a show about bad plastic surgery and he scared the bejeezus out of me...and scared me off of having any work done to my face...

Bye Darlings...don't spin your wheels...try something that scares you a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment