Monday, June 30, 2014

Can You Do This?

Hello Darlings...


since my last blog post I have had a few of you ask me about spinning and I have even inspired a few of you to try it...and that my lovies is the entire purpose of this blog:


I WANT TO INSPIRE YOU


and if I can make you laugh while I do it then mores the better...


Now just because I think that spinning is the most fun and effective way to burn calories, well that is just my opinion...and we all know what opinions are like...


Frankly I just want to inspire you to MOVE...to shake things up and find yourself in a place where you feel happy, healthy and fit.


It's not about losing weight or having a hot body...


well, maybe it is a little...I paid for a hot body and almost wrecked it and I am single...but what I really am seeking for myself is fitness...and hot body...


If running is your thing then by all means run your patootie off...but for me (and my crappy knees) I need the non-impact of spinning for my cardio workouts.


When I first started on my road back to fitness in 2010, I was a 300 lb miserable woman who looked 50 and felt 60...


I gave myself a month just to diet but it soon became apparent that I needed to add cardio and weight and strength training to the mix.


So when I was about 280 lbs I found a t-shirt big enough to cover my butt and a pair of very large pants and I hauled myself to the gym and got on the elliptical machine and worked out for an hour.  Stupidly I believed what the machine said my calorie burn was....


WRONG


If you don't believe me...next time you are at the gym turn on the treadmill (I learned this from a trainer) and don't get on it...just set it on...and watch the calories burn...


To accurately tell how many calories you are burning YOU NEED TO WEAR A HEART MONITOR.  I learned this from the amazing Coach Dimples back when he was training me (and the only reason I'm still not yelling at him on an almost daily basis is because he can't hear me in Colorado where he moved...I forgive him because he moved to have a life with the beautiful woman he loves who had a job opportunity there...but boy do I miss him...and yelling at him...)


So I thought that maybe today instead of telling you just to do something I might give you some tips on HOW to do it so that you might be further inspired to go and try something...


So if you want to try SPINNING (and JayVee and MyTommy and SuSu since you are the gurus of spin if you have any comments or need to correct me feel free to do so!)


1) find a studio...make sure it is convenient to your house!  If you have to travel more than 15 minutes from your home or work you won't go...you might go SOME but not as often as you like. 


2) Decide if you want to join a spin-specific studio or try classes in a gym.  You can get an excellent class and instructor either way...some of the best instructors are actually at gyms and not at spin studios.  The advantage of a gym is that you can do things other than just spin.  The advantage of a spin studio is that the classes tend to be very consistent in style so that no matter what time you go or instructor you have you are guaranteed to get a good workout.  Many studios offer a free first class or a week of unlimited classes at a reduced fee...do it!


3) If you are at a gym, check out the class schedule and try to find a time to peek in (if there is a window) and where you can hear the instructor.  Everyone has their own style---some are drill sergeants, some are spiritual motivators...and some just kick your ass....I really suggest you find an instructor who teaches in a way you are comfortable before you try it...if you have a bad experience the first time you may not want to go back.  If I walked into a spin class with a drill sergeant who played a lot of country music I would never get back on the bike...but that's just me...Personally I love an instructor who gets off the bike and in my face to motivate me and/or busts a move dancing around the room...it gets my energy going...yesterday MarvelousMel gave me oodles of moral support with by just coming to the second row and holding my hand for a sec...that may seem silly but it was like a hug when I needed it....and JayVee has no problem motivating me by standing next to me and upping my tension when she knows I need a push...or calls me out that I am doing great...


4) What to wear: I think it may be better to tell you what NOT to wear than what to wear.  I would not suggest running shorts for your first class...they are for RUNNING.  You will see some people wearing them but I doubt you will see an instructor do so.  Bike shorts are definitely a good way to go but I would avoid those with the built in gel padding if you are doing a "soul cycle" type class with a lot of choreography---that padding will get in your way when you are trying to do slides and tap backs.  Just plain bike shorts or any style of tight fitting workout pants will do.  My favorites are capris from Lucy (their perfect core).  You want something that won't ride up or twist about.  As for underwear I suggest a thong or go commando or underwear that aren't going to constantly make you want to "fix" yourself...not kidding.  A t-shirt or athletic shirt for men is great.  For women I would recommend a sports bra and tank or t-shirt...something that won't expose yourself when you are bent over the bike.  Just remember you will be getting your sweat on so dress for it...


5) a word about shoes: you will get a far superior workout if you wear bike shoes with clips.  Before investing in a pair I suggest you see if spinning is something you love doing...it's not that they are all that pricey but the will cost more than a few bucks.  Many spin studios require cycle shoes and will rent them to you for a low cost.  If you find you are loving spinning then go to a bike shop and get a pair with the clips or many studios also sell them so check those out as well.


6) bring a water bottle with you....you will need it!


7) Arrive early for your first class.  This is sooooo important, especially if it is your first time to spin...but even if you are a veteran if you are at a new gym or studio you need time to familiarize yourself with the bike and studio itself.  Get there at least 20 min early and if there is a check-in or instructor in the studio let them know you are new.  Each bike brand is different...I love the Keisers at my club (that is one set of settings I have to remember) and Revolution uses a Schwinn (setting #2 to remember) and DEFINE uses a different kind of Schwinn (setting 3 for me to remember).  You need time to get on the bike and check your settings and get a feel for it.


8) If you are spinning for the first time PLEASE TELL THE INSTRUCTOR!!!!!  This is so important!  He/she needs to know you are a newbie...that way the can help you adjust your bike and familiarize you with how to ride it.  It's not like riding a bike...it's riding a SPIN bike.  He/she can help you learn how to click in with your clips, how to find your settings, how to work the computer (if the bike has one), and help you understand the different positions.  Trust me THEY WANT TO KNOW YOU ARE NEW TO THIS...it will make it a much better experience for you.  And if you are a veteran spinner but new to a studio, gym, or class please let the instructor know...they may have some valuable info on how they structure their class...plus its just good manners!


9) now you gotta figure out where you want to ride...do you want to hide in the back? be a front row powerhouse?  stay in the middle?  be near where the fans blow?  be away from the fans?  See yourself in the mirror? Not see yourself in the mirror?  Some studios have you "book" your bike so you have a reserved spot...other's is first come/first served.  Get there early enough to look around and see where you want to ride.  For me it is front row but not where I can see myself in the mirror and I do not want even the tiniest breeze of a fan on me...Some studios bring the lights way way down so you are almost in the dark...for many people that is freeing...


10) many studios have gel seat pads for your use...use one the first few times...you will be more comfortable. 


11) speaking of comfortable, let me just let you know it is not...it is hard, and that saddle feels like a rock the first few times...and you are gonna get sore and tired.  That is what Advil is for.  Take your advil and go back. 


12) the instructor is going to tell you how fast you should be going (most ride to rhythm) and how much tension you should have on your bike.  The first few classes you take will be hard...I'm not going to lie to you, so don't feel bad if you have to back the tension off a bit or sit down.  It's ok...it's a hard workout.  So ease off the tension if it is feeling too hard, or take a seat if you need to...BUT make it your goal to stay up, or stay at the tension the instructor is suggesting.  AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT STAND UP IN THE SADDLE WITH NO TENSION ON...can you say torn ligament surgery? 


13) The instructor will help you understand the different positions...you do not want to be draped over the bike like your towel...you want to keep your butt over the saddle when you are up...you don't want to be wiggling around like my cat does before he pounces...do not grip the handle bars like they are a joystick on a video game.  The handle bars are there for support and positioning but not to support you---that is what your legs are for!  Your core and legs will support you...some instructors may even have you take one hand off the bars (but you should never stand and not have at least one hand resting on the bar).  Lightly rest your hands on the bar and make sure you can wiggle your fingers.  Your feet should be "flat" and not pointed down (like riding a regular bike).  You should have a 20% bend in your knee when it is fully extended...


14) So you find a studio, get there early, are appropriately dressed and have water, meet the instructor, get situated on the bike...and then you do the class and at the end...YOU WANT TO DIE.  Guess what?  I don't really know of anyone dying from spin class.  It will be hard but it won't kill you and it will get easier.  It will never ever BE easy (if it is don't go back to that class) but it will GET easier.  Go home and take Advil and go back again within a couple of days.  And if you didn't love the instructor or class, go back to a different instructor...it may not be the spinning you didn't like but just the style of the instructor.  Whatever you do I urge you to go back and try it again...don't let it be a "one and done" thing!


and my last suggestion:
15) Take a friend with you...it's not a social hour by any means but having a friend ride next to you is great moral support and you can feel proud together.  It's very motivating to be there with someone you know.  Yesterday JayVee and I took a class together (that is why she is an awesome instructor---she takes classes from others so she can "grow") and we had so much fun pounding away.


So there you go...some tips to help you get started...


And hey if spinning is not "your thing" then I urge you to check out other forms of group exercise.  I have found that if I have a class I have signed up for or a session with a trainer booked that I have no excuse.  When I'm afraid I will "wimp out" and not go to a class I make sure I sign up online so it's paid for and I can't back out...


I know this is a super boring blog but since some of you have asked I thought I would help you out and see if I can't get a few more of you to try this awesome form of working out. 


Trust me, I usually feel like I want to die during class...I curse JayVee and the Revolution girls and SuSu under my breath...and I pray for it to end...but then somewhere my brain takes over my body and I find that I am proud of myself for being able to work so hard and not die.  Sometimes class passes so quickly that when we start to cool down I can't believe 45-60 min (depending on the class) has passed.  Other days one song in I'm asking myself why the hell I am there and I want off the damn bike...but for the most part I go, sweat my ass off, have fun and get proud that this almost 50-year old former fat girl can do what I do.


I wish I was the kind of person who could eat whatever she wanted and wouldn't gain an ounce...but then again I am not a 16-year old boy.  My son can down his weight in chicken wings and not gain any weight and if I LOOK at the chicken wings (or whatever) I gain the weight for both of us...heck if I just SMELL something like chicken wings I gain weight...sigh....


So for me I need to do cardio and weight training 5 days a week or the weight creeps back on...I found it out the hard way when I cut back to twice a week and the weight crept on...but then it quit creeping and sneaking up on me and went into full  attack and it suddenly things got ugly...I started to resemble Princess Fiona in her ogre state and not Barbie anymore...


So for the past month I have upped my exercise and have been eating really pretty darn clean.  I have been eating so much salmon it is a miracle I am not pink and walking backward (like a salmon swims upstream).  I have several ways I prepare salmon but I found this amazing recipe on Pinterest from an excellent food blogger and it is my "go-to" now.  It's a yummy teriyaki marinade (I think it would also be great on flank or skirt steak or chicken or pork chops) and has a sriracha cream sauce.  I changed the sauce to my own sriracha "crazy sauce" (see last blog) but the marinade is spot-on.  Even if you don't like salmon you might find you do if you try this.  I suggest letting it marinade for 8-24 hours for maximum flavor.  Just remember to make the marinade ahead of time because it must fully cool off before you throw the fish in it.


Here's the link to her blog...it truly is damn delicious
http://damndelicious.net/2012/05/30/teriyaki-salmon-with-sriracha-cream-sauce/


So my darlings I hope I have inspired some of you to try spinning or push yourself to go again if you tried it once and didn't like it.  If you belong to the HRC I will meet you any Tuesday/Thursday for JayVee's class if you want to try...and if you don't belong to the HRC but live in Houston and want to try out Revolution or DEFINE I will meet you there for moral support...


AND IF YOU LIVE IN HOUSTON AND WANT TO TRY REVOLUTION THERE IS A SPECIAL RUNNING ON GILT.COM (GILTCITY...GO TO GILT.COM AND GO TO CITY AND THEN CLICK  HOUSTON) FOR 5 CLASSES FOR $55 (INSTEAD OF $100)...THAT IS A HECK OF A DEAL.  YOU MUST BE A NEW CLIENT TO DO THIS---AND THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT SINCE YOU ARE BUYING 5 YOU WILL COMMIT TO GIVING IT A REAL CHANCE!
http://www.giltcity.com/houston/revolutionjunhouston


Inspiration Song: "Can You Do This?" by Aloe Blacc...it will get you going...its one of those songs that makes me want to dance around like Snoopy...


Bye Darlings...get on your bikes and ride! (maybe I should have called this "Fat Bottomed Girls").  Just give spin (or a trainer or group exercise) a chance...and feel free to message me if  you have questions...



No comments:

Post a Comment