Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dim All the Lights

Hello my darlings...

have you missed me?

I have missed you...and blogging...but my life has been CRAZY with Ke$ha Barbie graduating, The Cutest Boy in the World (TCBITW) graduating from 8th grade, helping GOTT with the 8th grade musical, trips to Schlitterbahn, etc.

I will blog about all of that once I have settled myself and stuff around me down...

So instead I think today's blog will be about the Queen of Disco---DONNA SUMMER!

I'll admit it...I'm a fan...

I'll also admit...ok taking a deep breath before I type it...I LIKE DISCO MUSIC.

You see today I got to thinking  about Donna, and her music, and my youth during the days of disco as I was lounging in the sun...

Because today the fact that I am NO LONGER YOUNG came back to haunt me.  I pulled a glute muscle again...so I was laying in the lounge chair trying not to hurt and started thinking about Donna and disco.

How did I pull the glute you ask?

Of course you asked...you always want to know the stupid things I do to get into these situations I call my crazy life.

This is a good story...

So yesterday, after spin class, J'taime Jamie is leading us through stretches and she has us get into "pigeon" (I didn't know it was called "pigeon"...I thought it was a hurdle stretch).  So there we are with our front leg folded in front of us and our back leg extended behind...stretching...and she has us go to "monkey" which is basically the splits...or try to do the splits.

I figure "what the heck" and try it and lo and behold my friend JoJo says "look Anice can do the splits!" and there are gasps of awe and amazement all around...well, not really...I was the only one gasping...

So yeah, at my age of "??" years I can still do the splits!

So today when we were stretching after spin J'taime Jamie does the splits and says "Anice can do it too!  Show them!".

You know...there are times that showing off will bite you in the butt...or in this case, tear up your butt muscles...

So I go into the splits...from standing...and as I slide gracefully into position all is well until I feel a "pop" sort of feeling and then...

well, hell....

so as I type this I am sitting on an ice pack...and swallowing advil by the handful (not really but I am taking it on schedule).

But earlier today, as I was laying down in the sun like a lazy lizard---nursing a raging hangover (yes, I did spin class with a raging hangover...sweated out chardonnay...Trainer Girl and I decided to try LOTS of wines last night)---I started thinking about my disco days.

Not that I had many disco days...

But I can tell you that I went to Studio 54 in NYC in the summer of 1982 not once but twice!

I saw things there that NO 17 year old girl should see.

I also had a blast.

And I was with my mother...yes...my mother took me to Studio 54...

We were on my "graduation trip" and left out of and returned to NYC on our European Adventure.  I will have to blog about that sometime this summer...we did have some adventures that time...but going to Studio 54 might have been the biggest adventure of all.

We were with some friends that lived in NYC...our friend Star (yes, that is her real name) who was a prima ballerina and her hubby and some of their friends...including an incredibly creepy 27 year old guy who claimed he was a tv producer and kept trying to get me to make out with him...

um...

no...

gross...

I was 17...

The first time we went we sat in a roped off area and had champagne.

The music was awesome...and everyone danced even if you didn't have a partner.

I remember dancing so much I was dripping sweat and my hair was hanging all around my face.

But I didn't care...I was at Studio 54.

Then I took a trip to the bathroom and all I can say is that my innocence was pretty much lost at that point.

I saw things in that bathroom I wouldn't want my 18 year old daughter to see...

The women kissing each other didn't bother me...but I'm pretty sure that there was a man in the bathroom in a stall with a woman and all I can say is that they were LOUD and they were doing something that should have taken place in a bedroom.

I peed quickly...

then I went to wash my hands and was shoved away by someone who told me to get out of her way so she could "snort a rail" or something like that...from the bathroom counter.

I now know that was cocaine...I thought it was powdered soap and was getting ready to brush it off the countertop.

I saw more cocaine snorting...one woman had a super long finger nail and she was offering up cocaine in it to another woman.

Another woman pulled out a baggie of pills...popped a few and then popped on her lipstick.

I just wanted to pee and wash my hands...

I think I left without washing them...which may have been more sanitary anyway.

When I returned to our table area the only person there was creepy 27 year old tv guy who grabbed me and told me to sit and proceeded to try and jump on me...

Some other guy came to my rescue and he calmed down and moved to the other side of the couch thank goodness.  My mother was no where to be found.

turns out tv guy said he would stay with me since I was having fun and my mother LEFT ME at Studio 54 and went back to the Waldorf.

Not one of her better parenting decisions.

I will say that tv guy finally turned in to a gentleman and when I started to cry he grabbed my hand and took me out to a cab and rode in the cab with me back to the hotel.

When I pounded on the door to our room and my mother answered she knew she had made a huge mistake....

I forgave her but I did grow up very fast that night.

We went to Europe and when we returned we went out with Star and her hubby again.

Star had a surprise for me...we were going to a birthday party...for Christopher Atkins of "The Blue Lagoon" fame...

It was at Studio 54.

At least creepy tv guy wasn't in our group.

I never did lay eyes on Mr. Blue Lagoon but I did spend the evening dancing with a totally gorgeous 18 year old guy who's name I can't remember to save my life.

That night I had a blast...and he sweetly kissed me goodbye outside the cab (that yes, my mother was waiting in...no more abandoning me at the disco) and called me "Texas Girl"...

In college I spent many an evening dancing on a bar top at a bar or club...to the dsitress of many a bartender...but hey, that was my thing...

But all of that dancing could not compare with being under the flashing lights and mirror ball of the most famous disco in the country...dancing with a gorgeous boy who could dance and had a great smile...dancing until I no longer felt my feet...dancing until sweat dripped from my body but it didn't matter...dancing until I was so exhausted he practically carried me to the cab...

Oh...and I totally avoided the bathroom that time...that was the scariest place I have ever been in...

So now the Queen of Disco has passed away...may her music live forever...and may we all dance with the abandon of our 17 year old selves when we hear it...

But don't do the splits...

Just saying...

Inspiration Song: "Dim all the Lights' by the one and only Donna Summer.  Because I love her music and I love disco...and I loved Studio 54.

Bye Darlings...dance your hearts out...but don't do anything stupid...or you will end up sitting on an ice pack like me...

No comments:

Post a Comment