Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Somebody that I Used to Know

Don't you love it when I use intriguing little titles like this?

No, I'm not going to discuss my ex...because if you know the song it is about a bad breakup.

No, I have been obsessed with this song for a couple of months now and I thought...that would make a great blog title...

so here goes...

Most of you are most likely reading this through Facebook...you either get this as a direct link because you are signed up to receive it or you see it on your Facebook news feed.

Facebook...with almost 900 million users worldwide...is a fascinating social network.

I have friends that spend hours reading the news feeds and responding to what is posted there. I have other friends that almost never look at it.

I fall somewhere in the middle but closer to the "not pay attention" end of it...I mean, I stay logged in but I'm mostly just on my own page and usually it is just to post a blog. I usually don't look at the newsfeed and I rarely look at my friends pages.

Sorry...

There...I admitted it...

I am a bad Facebook friend...

I don't always read what you have posted.

But I sure as hell get happy when you read my blog!

I guess I should be classified as a "selfish" facebook user...I only care about myself.

It's not that I don't care what is going on in your world...I do...you know I care...it's just that so often when I finally am at my leisure at my computer (and not paying bills, etc) I don't often have time to really "surf" facebook.

Right now I am having to share my computer with Ke$ha Barbie.

I don't like sharing a computer with a teenager...I find all kinds of strange windows open after she is done. Sometimes I learn something (like when she leaves khanacadamy.org up) and other times I am frightened (like when she has up some sort of political blog).

But I got to thinking about Facebook today and how it brings people together.

People you might never have talked to again...or reconnected with again...or would have found harder to connect with again.

I've been blessed by Facebook and not really cursed.

Oh, I have had a few Facebook "stalkers" but they are blocked...this is Facebook guys, not match.com!

But mostly my facebook experience has been positive.

It gets my blog out there....and in reality it is not so much about who reads my blog but rather that I write it and it is an outlet.

But I have made some great connections and reconnections!

I could not breathe without AngelAmy and Twirler Girl...both who are back in my life thanks to Facebook.

I've also connected with "new" friends...people who I did not really know before but feel like I am getting to know now...like my friends the Fabulous sisters (their last name starts with "F" and they are fabulously gorgeous). StarChild and her sister RadiantRita are my sister's age...I didn't really know them in school...but through facebook we have become "friends" and communicate! In fact, I responded to a message from RadiantRita while I was in the back of the ambulance! Hey, what else was I gonna do while I was strapped in the back of the meatwagon...It was fun to send a message to a friend saying "I'm in an ambulance headed to the hospital!"

So connecting with them has been a blast...and I can't wait to get together with them for real!

I also am able to keep up with my precious niece and nephew (my Bella Bella...and my RumbleRory) as well as my beautiful Sister in Law...and my aunts and uncles and cousins and their wonderful kiddos! So family reunions via Facebook actually can happen...

I keep up with former students...the ones I have friended on Facebook are the kids that I love like my own...if you are a former SF student and you are my "friend" on Facebook then you should know that I love love love you...and you are very special to me. I don't "friend" just any of you...

I've got a former boyfriend or two as a friend...hey, why not? I don't really have anyone I have broken up with that I don't really still like...

So for the most part Facebook has been a good thing...

Isn't it funny that it all started in a dorm room...

I never did anything special in my dorm room except illegally cook things...and I held hands with a few friends when they took pregnancy tests (no, I never had to do that myself). The biggest thing that ever came out of my dorm room was my suitcases when I moved out...

So these boys in college invent Facebook and are now billionares and we spend time checking out each other's lives via the social network they have set up.

Makes me wonder...

What the heck will Ke$ha Barbie invent in HER dorm room?

Inspiration Song: "Somebody that I Used to Know" by Gotye...I'm obsessed with it...obsessed...

Bye Darlings...who have you connected with?

No comments:

Post a Comment